AdviceCleaning

Preventing Polo Shirt Collars from Creasing

This is continuing to drive me crazy. The collars on polo shirts crease or curl up, destroying the look of a shirt. I've tried 100% cotton, 70-30 cotton, poly etc. It doesn't seem to matter which. Even two of the same shirt, One will crease, one won't. Is it the washing? Or what?

DV2061 from Saskatoon, SK

By (Guest Post)

As I am folding these shirts, I button all the buttons and fold them as they do in the stores. Make sure the collar isn't rolled and stack them on top each other. Hope this helps, works like a charm for me!

By Helen L. Stephens (Guest Post)

My Husband wears golf shirts, inside golf magazine they said to wash inside out shirts buttoned up. Try this, I hope it works.

I too wash my polo shirts inside-out and only dry to a slightly damp feel. Once out of the dryer, I put them on hangers (inside-out) and button the top button. This method prevents the hangars from creating the 'hanger bump' on the shoulder areas and I don't have any issues with the collar.

I believe quality of the the shirt makes a difference too...I only buy Land's End Supra-pima...best shirt for the $$

Go to your fabric store and buy collar stays. They are little spears of plastic that go inside the collar points and keep them straight forever. The people there will tell how.

To kimhis....
Polo shirts won't accept 'Collar Stays'..

By PatD (Guest Post)

Hi, I've had this problem for quite some time. I found a web site that sells collar stays specifically designed for polo shirts. They work like a charm.

Check them out at www.golfgifts4u.com You can order them in sets of 5. Basically each stay is reusable about 10 times. Hope these help.

Pat Doolan

Dublin, Ireland

By Nathan D. (Guest Post)

I know there are collar styx or what ever you call them. but that just keeps the tip of the collar from curling. That's an easy fix by ironing. I'm looking for something, or someway to get rid or prevent the crease from around the collar. So that my collars don't look flat. After a while of owning my polo's every collar creases like it was ironed flat and it looks sloppy. Please help. Email me at nathanderr2000 AT yahoo.com

I think that overdrying polo shirts in the dryer causes the collars to curl. Tumble for about 10 minutes then allow to dry on a hanger. You need to do a bit of smoothing and tugging; have the button area and the backing pulled straight. Sometimes they will still need a little touchup with a steam iron.

The cheaper brands look like a rag no matter what you do. Buy good quality shirts and they wash up better.

Anonymous

Spray Starch then iorn

The quality of the shirt doesn't seem to matter. I have polo or golf shirts in all colors. The collars on the red and white ones will crease about 3/4 of the time. Dark blue will crease about 1/2 the time. The other colors especially green, light blue and medium blue don't generally crease at all. The way they're washed doesn't matter. Hot water, cold water, inside out whatever. Ironing or buttoning them up or rolled the collar doesn't work since they are already creased when pulled out of the dryer. Hard dry, a little damp doesn't make any difference. Some colors are just worse than others. Red and white also come out of the dryer with more wrinkles.