Easy Tip Calculations

Here's a trick for computing a 15% tip in your head. Start by calculating 10% of the bill and then add half. For example, if the bill is $24 dollars, a 15% tip would be $2.40 (10%) plus $1.20 (half of 15%), for a total of $3.60.

Another easy method is to use the sales tax rate in your state. If it the tax rate happens to be around %7 or 8%, the tip should be roughly double the amount of tax that is charged.

Another option is to carry a tip card, a small wallet sized card that has a table on it for calculating tips.

My tip calculation trick is to just double the first number. This seems to work out in most cases. For the example of $24.00, I would tip $4.00 which would be 16.66%. At the high end, a 29.00 bill would be 13.79%, still pretty close.

By (Guest Post)

hi, i was wondering where to get one of those tip cards. thank you. della

I've done the same thing, make the bill 10% and add half. Goes for shopping sales too.

Sometimes my friends can't figure out how I do it, sometimes I can't figure out how they can't! :-)

By Tru950 (Guest Post)

I would like to get one of those tip cards too. Would anyone know where to find one?

I did a Google search "wallet size tip chart" and see a few places, one is Amazon for about $5.50

The tip cards should be available at Borders or any larger book store.

I found my tip card at the Hallmark store.