BirdsPets

Finches Eating Their Own Eggs

My finch birds keeps laying eggs and eating them. Why does this happen?

By johnice from San Jose, CA

Egg eating might be caused by a calcium insufficiency in the bird's diet. Even if the diet is improved it can continue out of habit. (I am speaking from experience with other birds, not specifically finches)

If you are trying to encourage breeding, give her a nest box. If this is a lone female (they may still lay even if no male is present) she may eat her infertile eggs for nutrition. It taxes their little bodies to produce an egg. Even fertile eggs may be pushed out of the nest and consumed if the bird feels breeding conditions are not optimal.

Another cause may be boredom. Is her cage near a window so she can see outdoors? Does she have enough room to fly around in there? Are there other finches for her to socialize with? She isn't going to get sick from eating her eggs at least.

Hope this helps!

I give them enough calcium supliments regularly, and proper food, there is nest too, but it has laid the egg outside it, now it is trying to Peck and kill it, I don't understand why.

My finches lay eggs and eat them plenty of room to fly around nest boxes and plenty material for them also plenty calcium and food so why still eating them what can I do