Check Compost for Seedlings

Check your compost bin for sprouts of "mystery plants". One of the most frequent in my bin, and also popping up in the garden where I have spread compost around my roses, etc. is tomatoes. I now have 3 tomato plants which have produced yummy tomatoes - 2 small grape and cherry types and 1 medium size. Since I have never planted grape tomatoes, it must have come from my purchases at the grocery store. My plants produced last summer, survived the winter (in AZ) and are now flowering again after being covered on a very cold night. Easy to transplant these little delights. Good luck.

Source: My own gardening experience in my 2 homes, one in AZ mountains at 7200 ft. and the other in the desert at 2200 ft.

By Sandra from Tucson and Pinetop, AZ

My mom lives near Cottonwood (AZ) on a piece of homestead property that's been in the family over 100 years. Her dad also lived on the property, within eyesight from her, & he always had a big garden every year & a compost pile he'd throw his scraps in. One year a tree seedling started growing & he was going to turn it under but my mom dug it out instead & discovered it was from a peach pit. She took it home to plant in her yard, much to the amusement of my grandpa, who informed her that trees grown from commercial fruits will not grow fruit itself & she would never get peaches even if the tree DID survive being transplanted.

My grandpa passed away 15 years ago. That peach tree in my mom's back yard is huge, and every single year it produces more peaches that she know what to do with! They are big, beautiful, very sweet & juicy peaches! Guess my mom got the last laugh!

Thanks for the memory!