SeedsGardening

Growing Ben Franklin Trees from Seeds

I have a Ben Franklin tree which had several seed pods I just removed. The seeds are hard. What is the best way to try to grow my new trees?

Susan from Scottsville, VA

What is a Ben Franklin tree? I'm from Georgia and I've never heard of it. God bless you!

Sorry I should have explained. A Ben Franklin tree is a small version of a Magnolia. Has similar blooms but fall foliage is red/orange. Lovely tree! Thanks for the inquiry.

Magnolia is in the subfamily Magnolioideae of the family Magnoliaceae. It is named after French botanist Pierre Magnol. Franklinia is in the tea plant family, Theaceae.

Not in anyway related to the Magnolia. Plant seeds as soon as they are ripe - don't let them dry out. Softwood cuttings are easy to root. I have have two since 2002 and I live on Long Island New York. I love them.