KitchenHome Improvement

How Do I Build a Kitchen Island?

I just bought a fixer-upper and badly need a kitchen island, but with all the other expenses, I can't afford one. It would be neat to have something unique. I have an antique table that would work, but it's not tall enough. Has anyone ever made a kitchen island, and what did you use to make it?

By Renee from Shreveport, LA

Could you just replace the legs with taller ones?

Hi Renee! If you are lucky enough to have a table top that would work, you're ahead of the saving game. Do you have thrift stores in your area? Check them out, especially ones that carry furniture. I have even found just table legs and built a potting bench with them. Replacing just the legs with higher ones would be the ticket. The hunt is half the fun! Good luck.

If you have a ReStore in your area, that is a place where people donate used cabinets, etc. The store is ran by Habitat For Humanity and they usually sell the items really cheap.

Buy two identical dressers unfinished. Put them back to back and put a table top, slab of stone or wood as the top. Finish the dressers any color you like, then you have a really sturdy island with drawer storage. Looks wonderful and not too expensive to do. Ikea cabinets work great with this idea.
Jill

Some stores also sell free standing islands on wheels, so you can move them around and fit them into different places. I've seen them for about $100 or so, but perhaps craigslist might have some.

Garnetgirl9 took my idea. You can get replacement legs @ the hardware store along with the bolts to attach! I like your table idea, wish I had the room!