Embellished Dollar Store Scarf

I found a plaid, fleece scarf at the dollar store, but I felt it needed more fringe and a pop of color. Using some red yarn and red felt I had on hand, I added more fringe and made felt flower pins as embellishment. I now plan to give it as a Christmas gift.

Approximate Time: about 1 hour

• fleece scarf
  • yarn
  • yarn darning needle
  • felt
  • scissors
  • small buttons
  • pin backs
  • hot glue gun and glue sticks
  • cardboard

Instructions:

For the fringe:

1. Cut a piece of cardboard to the finished length of the fringe. For a 3-inch fringe, cut a 3-inch wide piece of cardboard. Wrap the yarn around the cardboard about 12-14 times. Cut the yarn in a straight line across the yarn. Now you'll have several pieces of yarn that are double the length of the finished fringe.
  2. Thread the needle with a piece of the yarn and insert the needle near the edge of one end of the scarf.
  3. Pull yarn halfway through scarf and remove needle.
  4. Advertisement

5. Tie yarn into a knot to secure.
  6. Continue adding pieces of yarn to both ends of scarf until you achieve desired thickness of fringe.

To make a loopy felt flower:

1. Cut a 2 inch wide section of felt from a felt rectangle that is the length of the rectangle.
  2. Fold the felt in half lengthwise and glue the open end closed with a thin bead of glue.
  3. Cut 1/4 slits into the felt along the folded edge to create the petals. Be careful not to cut all the way through.
  4. Advertisement

5. Roll up the felt, gluing as you go, along the uncut side.
  6. If you wish to make a pin from the flower, glue a felt circle to the flower back and glue on a pin back.
  7. For another style of flower, create a flower from the instructions above and snip the loops to give it a different look.

To make a flat felt flower:

1. Download and print various flower templates from the internet.
  2. Place each template on the felt and cut around each pattern.
  3. Advertisement

4. Layer and glue each flower in the center.
  5. Glue on buttons for the center, if desired.
  6. Glue on a pin back.

By Rachel's Mom from Wilkesboro, NC

That fringe is beautiful. I cut out tons of scarves from the fabric bin at Walmart. I just made some that were red with white stars on them. They are, as the expression goes, loud...but they are beautiful!

I am going to try this as I love felt and it would be beautiful to put on my scarves. I always cut the fringe on my scarves so this is a new idea.

Blessings, Robyn

Crafts Clothing ScarvesDecember 30, 2011
😎
📓
🐛
🌻
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf43455600.tip.html