Dry Skin Treatment for Cat

I am looking for a treatment for dry skin for my pet cat.

Deb from Terre Haute, IN

Try googling on the internet, I found a lot of help when my Siamese had dandruff. A HIGH quality food (Iams and Science Diet are NOT high quality, I am talking go to Petco, Petsmart or a feed store), some olive oil (just a little) in their food, Omega oils (not sure of the dose, but then a good petstore will know). Hope that helps!

I give my senior cat 1/2 of a Derma-Form tablet every day. They are easy to break in two and taste like treats. Before Derma-Form, she was scratching constantly, but she hardly ever scratches now.

http://www.heal … om/de50chta.html

Coconut oil is good for the skin. I know dogs can take it orally. Don't see why cats couldn't take it either but you might want to Goggle that.

My cat had chronic dry, itchy skin until I changed her food from dry to canned. You may have to try a few brands to get the right kind because some gave my cat diarrhea, which is a worse problem! After the change to canned food, she never had dry skin again.

Try Grizzly salmon oil too!

All pets wearing fur coats need raw eggs and tuna in their diets. Also, watch that they are not lying down on a heater vent/register, or are too close to the fireplace which definitely will dry them out. Add a pat of butter to their bowl and let it melt a bit for them to snack on. Never use human soaps/shampoos on pet hair. Pet's PH is different from humans and it can truly mess them up, getting their own pH out of balance. I'd back way off from giving more than 1/2 cup of dry food a day, regardless of size of pet until
the hair improves. There is a slim chance the pet may have fleas, as well, which often will leave balding
patches. Go to Gardens Alive and view their pictures, if you can find it. It's not cheap,since it's organic, but it is better than losing the pet. God bless you. : )

Oils are important, whether it be coconut, flax, salmon, whatever, always be careful of the amount as they'll make a mess of the litter box otherwise!

Someone else here posted that they now just feed their cats only wet cat food...this can cause gingivitis and tooth decay. The dry stuff builds strong teeth. You must remember that the wild cats will eat mice..they chew the bones, and eat the organs and everything. This is why you can buy raw cat food and they love it.

You can try buying fish oil pills from the local pharmacy (Wal-Mart, RiteAid, etc.), cut one open and drain it on your cats food once per day. They not only like the taste it also helps with the dryness. One possible side effect is a change in the color of their coat. I had one orange cat change to a much darker orange, but the other three (orange, chocolate and white, and a calico) didn't change color at all. This really improved their itching and they are great for you to take too.