Remedies for Pets' Dry Skin

It is advised for you to contact your veterinarian concerning your pet's health issues. This guide is about remedies for pet's dry skin.

Our Beagle starts scratching anywhere he can reach by late summer. Other than scratching for him, we found at least a helpful solution. Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of mineral oil at feeding time. It may not stop the itches entirely, but will stop the constant irritation. Happier pet, happier owner.

By sandies from Torrington, CT

I need something for my Chihuahua's, dry skin. I've tried fish oil, vitamin E oil, and just about everything over the counter. It's not fleas; he's on a monthly flea pill. He's the only one effected out of the 4 Chihuahuas I have. I bought some sulfur cream that's for dry itchy scalp and it says I can use it as often as needed. The vet gave me steroids, but that's $50.00 a month, a little costly.

By Ethel from Boyd, TX

Answers

I bought an older cocker spaniel whose backside was flaky, something my other dogs never had. Walmart sells a natural treat for skin and coat that's called healthy treats for dogs (skin & coat) in a tan colored bag and it contains Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids. The dog receives 1 treat per 10#s of body weight daily. Since putting our newest and older cocker on them her fur has become shinier, softer and the flakiness is gone. The bag costs $2.50 and the treats are soft enough you can break into smaller pieces as long as you seal the bag after each use.

To add to this, she has been eating 1# deer meat cooked and drained along with added rice with either a can of peas, mashed green beans or can of mashed sweet potatoes. You can put the reserve or leftovers in a sealed bowl for another meal to nuke later. My daughter's chi loves this and eats it willingly.

Shampooing the dog I use a good brand oatmeal shampoo and oatmeal conditioner. We got her in Dec. '10 and it's now nearing the end of Feb, so her skin and all over appearance is 100% improved.

Now, after her vet visit, the doctor stated that the flaky skin was caused from allergies and one of her own dogs got this annually. I don't know if the allergy period has ended for our area, but there's no more flaky skin to be seen. I believe it has ended due to the consistency of her caring methods used.

I'll know for sure come next winter.

It sounds like you are addressing this topically. Maybe your dog needs some internal treatment. My mother changed her dogs diet (to Kibble and Bits) and her coat improved radically. Not saying Kibble and Bits is the way to go, just an example.

My friends two Shepherds had free reign all over the avocado orchard, you've never seen shinier coats! Many dog products have avocado in them just for that reason. Also remember if your four legger is in the house with you all the time, just like us, they get dry skin because the house heater is going all day. Start placing more bowls of water around the house to humidify it.

Read my past posts. Go effective natural remedy. Food change, Borax in carpet. Build immune system, No steroids (problems come back even worse) lots of easy fix.

Vets would rather you spend lots of money on prescriptions & prescription foods and allergy test than to tell you to give them premium foods. Try Blue Buffalo, it has no corn, soy, wheat & they also have basics which is the limited ingredient food (has no chicken or dairy products at all) the food in general has done wonders with my Basset's skin problems. Try it you will be amazed & your pet will thank you for it. :)

Well I had him to the vet. They put him on steroids, didn't work. I was feeding him kibbles and bits, switched to bites and bones and started adding warm water and a little bacon grease. I bought oatmeal shampoo and bathe him every so often, nothing seems to help. I saw the remedy with baby oil and Listerene. I had it so I mixed and am trying that today. The vet said if anything will work it will only take 3 days to see a difference.

I bought the sulfur cream Sunday and used it every time I saw him scratch, but wasn't getting anywhere. Today would have been the 2nd day of treatments 4 or 5 x daily.

What I don't understand is the 3 other Chihuahua's are not scratching and do not have fleas. I do not keep a warm house. My house is 200yrs. old and drafty. I keep my house between 68-70 days much cooler at night because we have heated mattress pads.

My schnauzer sometimes has dry skin and my vet recommended spritzing him with distilled water regularly. It worked for him. You can also use one of the skin conditioners/grooming sprays. I have used a product called Minute Groom and it has a nice clean scent plus conditioners.

I have been feeding my dog different foods which say they contain essential fatty acids, but they did not help with the flaky skin they have. I bought hemp seed oil which was recommended by this site http://www.oilfordogs.com, but I am not sure what to do. Krill oil is bit cheaper than hemp seed oil, but does it really matter?

By Mark S. from Berlin

I am looking for a treatment for dry skin for my pet cat.

Deb from Terre Haute, IN

Answers

Try googling on the internet, I found a lot of help when my Siamese had dandruff. A HIGH quality food (Iams and Science Diet are NOT high quality, I am talking go to Petco, Petsmart or a feed store), some olive oil (just a little) in their food, Omega oils (not sure of the dose, but then a good petstore will know). Hope that helps!

I give my senior cat 1/2 of a Derma-Form tablet every day. They are easy to break in two and taste like treats. Before Derma-Form, she was scratching constantly, but she hardly ever scratches now.

http://www.heal  om/de50chta.html

Coconut oil is good for the skin. I know dogs can take it orally. Don't see why cats couldn't take it either but you might want to Goggle that.

My cat had chronic dry, itchy skin until I changed her food from dry to canned. You may have to try a few brands to get the right kind because some gave my cat diarrhea, which is a worse problem! After the change to canned food, she never had dry skin again.

Try Grizzly salmon oil too!

All pets wearing fur coats need raw eggs and tuna in their diets. Also, watch that they are not lying down on a heater vent/register, or are too close to the fireplace which definitely will dry them out. Add a pat of butter to their bowl and let it melt a bit for them to snack on. Never use human soaps/shampoos on pet hair. Pet's PH is different from humans and it can truly mess them up, getting their own pH out of balance. I'd back way off from giving more than 1/2 cup of dry food a day, regardless of size of pet until
the hair improves. There is a slim chance the pet may have fleas, as well, which often will leave balding
patches. Go to Gardens Alive and view their pictures, if you can find it. It's not cheap,since it's organic, but it is better than losing the pet. God bless you. : )

Oils are important, whether it be coconut, flax, salmon, whatever, always be careful of the amount as they'll make a mess of the litter box otherwise!

Someone else here posted that they now just feed their cats only wet cat food...this can cause gingivitis and tooth decay. The dry stuff builds strong teeth. You must remember that the wild cats will eat mice..they chew the bones, and eat the organs and everything. This is why you can buy raw cat food and they love it.

You can try buying fish oil pills from the local pharmacy (Wal-Mart, RiteAid, etc.), cut one open and drain it on your cats food once per day. They not only like the taste it also helps with the dryness. One possible side effect is a change in the color of their coat. I had one orange cat change to a much darker orange, but the other three (orange, chocolate and white, and a calico) didn't change color at all. This really improved their itching and they are great for you to take too.

I have a domestic hairless male kitten of 9 weeks age. His skin is very dried and sometimes some powder like substance spreads over it. I think he was a day or two old when I found him in my yard. I fed him milk replacement formula until ten days ago. From that time up to now he eats from his dish formula milk, chicken soup, and chicken.

Some ten days ago he suffered from digestive issues since he accidentally ate from our lunch dish which had green peas mixed with potatoes and cream in it.

The jumping kitty lost energy and could hardly walk, but ate his food well. The vet prescribed one CC of Ranitidine syrup every eight hours, one CC multivitamin syrup per day, and one third of a sorbitol powder pack solved in water at wake up time. The prescription was prescribed for one week. The vet also suggested we mix the liquid of an Omega 3 in his chicken soup for his skin and hair and overall health. And he mentioned not to wash or wet his skin during medication period. The kitty is feeling healthy now, but the same white powder like substance has increased over his shoulders. It looks like dried skin. His skin condition has become worse since his digestive problem.

It's very hard to find a vet around where I live and the one we found, prescribed the medicine through a phone call. I have not been able to reach the vet for sometime.
I attached a photo of the white powder shape like and the kitty's pictures for people who may be a great help to this lovely kitty.
Thanks.

Can you use dry skin moisturizer or dry skin lotion for a dog that has dry skin? Thanks.

Larry from Snellville, GA

Answers

I am bumping this up so maby we can get a responce.. my dog has dry skin too.

You can give your dog a teaspoon or more of oil every day, or I give my dog one or two fish oil liquid tablets. He loves the taste. He has beautiful fur and hair IMO :). He is very glossy.

We give our dog 1 raw egg with her dry food every other week to help with skin and coat. We used to give it to her once a week but we decided to go to every other week. After 2 weeks, we noticed a difference. We got the idea from a lady we ran into who said she has raised dogs for 20 years and that's what she has always done.

Hi, Larry!
Last spring our 2 little furry terriers had trouble with ticks, even though they've been on Revolution every month for a couple of years. When I contacted 1800PETMEDS, they said that when a dog has dry skin, the medication doesn't spread from the application site as well. Now I use an olive-oil sprayer and squirt 5 or 6 squirts of vegetable oil on their dry food when I feed them in the morning. They love it, and this has decreased their scratching and improved their coats.
Good luck!
Nancy in NC

We have a toy poodle.. he only weighs 7 lbs and eats such a small amount of food (Iams Mini Chunks) that it worries me and I wouldn't have any idea how much olive oil to spray on. By small amount I mean about 2-3 tablespoons morning and night if I'm lucky. But the Vet says hes healthy and in good form. So how much Olive oil would I spray on. He scratches like mad! P.S. hes 11 months old.

I have three Xolo (Mexican hairless) dogs; two of them, my minis, have recently developed a red rash with dry chapped skin and it's peeling like a sunburn. I've tried coconut oil on them it doesn't seem to help it actually makes one of them look worse.

And I have a Labradoodle chewing and scratching his skin. There are no fleas, ticks, or other parasites on him. What should I do for my dogs? My standard Xoloitzcuintli has excessive blackheads now which have just developed in the last 6 months along with pimples and and hard lumps under the skin.

I have a Chihuahua with chronically dry skin. Is there anything I can do that works to remedy it?

By Carolyn from Jacksonville, FL

I have a standard size Dachshund and a Chi- Winnie. The Dachshund is always licking his paws, they both shed a lot, so would fish oil help with these issues and if so how much do I give and how often? The Dachshund's weight is 21 and the Chi-Winnie 14.

I have a 5yr old Pit. I have never had a problem with his skin being this dry until we moved about six months ago. He doesn't have fleas and I haven't changed anything. He's always been very well taken care of, with vitamins and a good diet. So I was thinking of using a little mineral oil. Please let me know if this will help my poor baby.

By Telina A.

Can I use sweet almond oil on my dog to help with dry skin?

By Krissy B

Feed plenty of good whole foods, such as turkey, chicken, beef, black beans, kidney beans, green beans, yogurt, part of bananas, pumpkin (canned), squash, sweet potatoes, mayo, and infant vitamins, one dropper full for a large 100 pound or more dog and half that for a fifty pound dog, and 1/4 that for a 25 pound dog, etc.

Make any items of this with a meat source listed above. Wet it down with water to the point it will form into little balls and squish them into cookies about normal size hamburger patties, and freeze these and then when they are frozen put them in a plastic bag. I give two or three a day. I do my scraps like this that I know are good for the dogs, and that way, they get a wholesome meal.

I also give my huge dogs about a tablespoon of olive oil a day in the place of fish oil pills or give fish oil pills if I have pill pockets (a treat with a pocket to put a pill in). Medium dogs would have a half tablespoon of olive oil a day and small dogs would have 1/4 of a tablespoon of olive oil a day. I will figure that out later, what that amounts to.

Dove baths are comforting to my dachshund mix who is plagued with terrible skin. Lather their wet skin up with a Dove bar that is a quarter cleansing cream and rub that in for a little and rinse off.

Making oatmeal water is a soothing thing to pour over dry skin. Put about a cup of oatmeal in a bowl and then soak it in water as much as you like. Then collect the water from that and pour that over the skin.

I give Benadryl to my dogs, when they are really upset in their skin, 1 mg per pound of weight. You could do 2 mg per pound of weight, but it knocks them out. Cats usually don't respond well to Benadryl, but you could Google it.

Frontline doesn't do any good for my dogs anymore. I suspect it has changed formula for some reason. I am waiting for about a month to try the brewers yeast on them and I am going to research which vitamins are good for dogs and which ones are toxic.

Dogs with itchy skin need to be brushed, bathed, and blow dried often, because it keeps their skin clean and soft and not as likely to suffer irritation, at least this is true with my dogs.

Blessings,

By Robyn Fed from Hampton

Answers:

Remedy for Pets Dry Skin

Listerine, baby oil, and warm water. It sounded greasy, but I was amazed at how somehow this all worked together to make a fabulous dry skin cure. It soaked in instantly, and my poor German Shepherd was so much happier within 24 hours that she actually has come to me whenever she's seen the squirt bottle in my hands. I went out on a limb and put it directly on a hot spot. Within days the hot spot was healed and gone. No more flaky skin on the surface of her now shiny black coat. Thank you so much! I follow up now and then with a perfect bath made of half clear anti-bacterial soap, and half white vinegar. Shake it up in an old bottle and use as shampoo. No wet dog smell! Thank God for the internet and helpful sites like these for low cost cures. (04/04/2010)

By kandimark

Remedy for Pets Dry Skin

I have used Listerene as a topical on ringworm or other yeast infections and also on any itchy like infection. When using on dogs, just get a small amount on a cotton ball and let it sit for a few seconds and then if it is where they can lick it; wipe it off. Also the dogs like to have their fur wiped down, which is a soft massage with a wet rag all the way down to their skin. It refreshes them so much.

I am going to make this spray stuff with the baby oil, etc. I am also going to try to find out why Skin so Soft is so good against bugs! (05/22/2010)

By Robyn Fed

My dog has dry itching skin to the point that he has begun chewing on him self. Is there a home cure for this?

By Red from Frankfort, IN

Answers:

Remedy for Pets Dry Skin

Our vet recommended oatmeal shampoo found at pet stores, but this can not get into their eyes. We've also used human quality cooking oats (quick oats) and added them to a tub full of warm water and worked them onto his fur. Just rinse well after you have bathed the dog. (11/30/2009)

By ScottishYankee

Remedy for Pets Dry Skin

Tried the Baby Oil, Listerine and water for dry skin on my dog. Works immediately but my dog is not real wound up about me applying it to him. Not real sure how often to apply it to him and can't see anything anywhere in hear on that issue. (12/01/2009)

By James

Remedy for Pets Dry Skin

Our vet had us use Ivory dish soap to wash our puppies in. I had a kennel and had to wash them once a week at times to get pictures and never had a problem. It didn't hurt their eyes but I was careful and washed their heads with a cloth.

The photo is of Max drying off on my lap. Who wouldn't love that Bullmastiff face?
(12/02/2009)

By latrtatr

RE: Remedy for Pets Dry Skin

Remedy for Pets Dry Skin

I would spritz him with extra virgin olive oil and massage it into his skin. It is also a skin softner for adults or children with dry skin, I use it mostly during the winter months when furnace makes my skin dry and itchy. (12/02/2009)

By Paula Jo

Remedy for Pets Dry Skin

Also just add dry cooking oatmeal into a tube sock and use that to wash doggie with.

Brewer's yeast is good for dog's coat so I give my doggie one tablet daily and he likes it. I get mine at WalMart, as the price is the best there.
(12/03/2009)

By meoowmom

Remedy for Pets Dry Skin

Yes! Diet! Internally, once in awhile, (depending on the dogs size about once a month or so,) I cook an egg or two for my dogs. Also, have you checked out the brand of dog food you feed your pet? My vet only recommends 3 brands of dog food, and there are many brands on the markets.

I have a dog with arthritis, and after many talks with the Vet,(and expensive shots,) I have him on one omega 3-6-9 capsule a day. It alleviates the arthritis, and helps his coat. His coat was kind of oily, and actually got less oily, and softer when I put him on one Omega 3-6-9 capsule (the kind we buy for ourselves.)

Even though everyone knows that getting too much fats in the system are bad, there are good fats, and those fats can help the skin and coat, and alleviate arthritis pain.

Feeding a pet dry food all of the time may or may not aggravate dry skin, and promote arthritis.

Also, in the winter, when we are using a furnace, the air is much drier, and I like using a humidifier to help moisturize the air. It could be that simple. Also, I give my dogs table scraps, like drained hamburger, turkey, chicken (no bones,) I never just let them eat dry (cereal) food. I also let them eat some veggies--like green beans, corn, sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, and peas, and carrots. I've heard that garlic, onions, mushrooms, grapes, can really mess up their metabolism to the point of needing an emergency vet, or worse.

I hope this helps your dogs itchy skin and chewing. Even though a dogs metabolism is different from ours, they still need some good oils in their system.

Since all of the expensive (30 dollar shots every two weeks) for our dog with arthritis, he is happy with one omega 3-6-9 capsule a day, no more shots, however, he does weigh in around 40-50 pounds. So, you really need to consult your Vet about your dogs dry skin. It really isn't just a matter of bathing, it really could be a matter of what the dog is getting to eat and not getting in their diet.

Dry winter air does cause dry skin, but diet is really important when it comes to dry skin. And if a pet isn't getting the right nutrients to begin with, a ton of oatmeal in the bath won't solve the problem. I'm not knocking people that have found relief with oatmeal, I'm saying it may not be the solution, like with my dog who has to have an omega 3-6-9 for arthritis, and the strangest to me, is that my dog had oily skin and fur prior to the omega 3-6-9, then when I put him on the omega 3-6-9,(which is a type of oil,) his fur stopped being oily, and became soft. Really nice and soft. Instead of oily, and he hasn't complained about his arthritis anymore. (12/08/2009)

By Carol L.

My recipe is for pets that have dry skin and itch a lot. In a spray bottle (I got at Walmart in beauty supplies) add 1/3 cup of baby oil, 1/3 cup of original Listerine...