Soothing Dry Skin on Dogs

Our Beagle starts scratching anywhere he can reach by late summer. Other than scratching for him, we found at least a helpful solution. Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of mineral oil at feeding time. It may not stop the itches entirely, but will stop the constant irritation. Happier pet, happier owner.

By sandies from Torrington, CT

Be very careful and watch your pet closely for diahrrea as mineral oil is used for constipation (read on the back of the bottle).

Stop the corn wheat and soy. No grocery aisle food. Costs a little more but your dog will eat less because it is satisfied. A little raw diet, cook healthy with brown rice, lentils, meats (like ground turkey) veggies, even fruits. Need a little kibble? EVO. Check my previous posts for more explanation. No poison flea control. Borax in carpet. Like I said,read my previous posts.

I started adding a teaspoon of cod liver oil to my dachshund's dry food. It's a good source of vitamin A which is good for his skin and also good for his joints.

That's the information I've found after doing my research.

Be very careful how you give the mineral oil to your dog. If any of it is inhaled, it causes a persistent pneumonia. Most Vets will caution you against its use. Since mineral oil has no nutrition (generally used as a laxative and passes thru the digestive tract undigested); why not try a fish oil, or canola oil. If these oils agree with your dog, it is a safer choice.

I use Dawn Dish Detergent with Oil Olay to bath for my dog's dry skin and works very well compared to expensive pet shampoos I have used in the past with no results. So far this has been the best for my dog. If dry skin is persistent with your pet, speak to the vet; maybe there is an allergy too.

Pets Dogs HealthSeptember 17, 2011
🎄
🍂