Remedies for Itchy Skin

Soothing the irritation and stopping the itch, helps the skin to heal. This page is about remedies for itchy skin.

One of the best treatments around for really bad rashes and skin irritation is liquid Maalox, the stuff you use for indigestion. When my friend was in the hospital ICU, she had horrible, uncontrolled diarrhea and bed sores, which literally left her skin raw and bleeding.

When I have allergic rashes and all else fails for relief, I use cold black tea compresses! This is especially good for around the eyes where most other remedies are too harsh!

To stop an itch, crush many aspirin, put in apple cider vinegar and shake. Apply and itch subsides quickly.

For years I've worn running shoes and suffered the consequences with itchy feet. Lately, however, I've discovered a cheap and easy secret for keeping my feet clean and itch free.

My husband suffers from severely itchy skin. I've tried expensive soaps and sprays, but they haven't worked. Any other ideas? Thank you!

Kris from Randolph, MA

Answers

Anonymous

Hi,

I recommend at good acidolphlius supplement as well as Aveeno bath and moisturizer products.

Food allergies often cause itchy skin. Read labels carefully and eliminate all wheat and modified food starch ingredients for a week and see how you feel.

Itchy skin also can be caused by an overgrowth of yeast. Probiotics are good for this as well as cutting back on sugar and related sweeteners.

You didn't say if you have dry skin. If you do, limit hot showers and apply a good moisturizer like Aveeno or Aquaphilic, which is sold mostly through pharmacies --no prescription needed.

Hope this helps.

I discovered a few years ago that I have a topical allergy to alcohol. I have to look really carefully for skin care products. Te label will tell you if there is alcohol in it. Most perfumed products will have some as a preservative.

Hypo allergenic baby oil, soap and shampoo might help. Walgreen's carries a wonderful alcohol free baby line. You might also want to do a net search for a company called Pharmaceutical Specialties. These are dermatologist recommended products and they will send you free samples before you order.

I also have very itchy skin and unfortunately passed it on to my children and grandchildren.. It has a fancy sounding name, which basically tells us own skin is very tough and does not fall off (or shed)and regenerate as often as normal folk. This means we get clusters of these white filled bumps which do not have heads. They normally feel itchy and tight and a quick squeeze will expell some white cheesy matter....which does give some relief! Well, I have finally discovered a cream that calms down the horrible itching!! It's called "Eucerin" Calming Creme.It has a clean, nuetral odor. An 8 oz bottle cost around $7 at WalMart or WalGreen. Hope it helps you like it does me.

By Cathy from Townsville, QLD (Guest Post)

It sounds as though he is using something that is causing an allergic reaction. I'd advise getting him tested for allergies - from food to clothing to shampoos and household cleaners. Good luck!

I suffer from severe itching also and have found hot showers to help. One thing I have found is tea tree oil by itself or added to a little unscented lotion (I use a homemade goats milk lotion I buy from someone on EBAY). The tea tree oil by itselt is very strong smelling and you may feel a tingling sensation on your skin.

If you are sensitive, add some to the lotion and then apply it. Also Benedryl makes a clear gel that is good for itchy skin. Good luck, I remeber hearing somewhere though that chronic itching is a sign of kidney or liver problems, so you may want to look into it further.

He probably should see a dermatologist.

By judy (Guest Post)

I've had itchy skin for three yrs. now and the allergist can't seem to find a cause. I've had many skin tests and was even referred to a cancer specialist and had a bone marrow biopsy to check for a type of leukemia that causes itchy skin. Thankfully, that test was negative. No one seems to know what is causing the itching, and it gets to the point that it is almost painful. I have tried all kinds of lotions. I get two to four allergy shots a week. Any suggestions?

By Donna (Guest Post)

I also have itchy skin and almost anything can set it off. Zyrtec worked very well for me(no more itching) but is by prescription only and expensive. Generic Claritan (found at Target) also works very well and does not make me drowsy. It's worth a try(you can get a box for $1.99).

I sure hope this helps as the itching can really be horrible!

Hey for Donna, guest post...you can order generic zyrtec from canada pharmacy dot com, I get it from there all the time. Go to the website and I think it is under the word citrazine (missing my latest box) or type in zyrtec and it should pop up. Costs me $29.00 for 90 pills which is like 33 cents a pill, very cheap. I paid $50 bucks for lifetime free shipping with them about 3 years ago (don't know if they still offer it) so that saves me $10 everytime I need something shipped, thats what it used to be anyway. Zyrtec is the difference between night and day on the itching to me.

He might try taking a Benedryl before bed. I've used Claritin (Aldi's has a cheap generic) during the day, and that helped me.

Skin allergies seem to get worse in the winter, with dry air and furnaces kicking on.

By Carol in PA (Guest Post)

First, he should have a physical examination because itchy skin is an indication of diabetes. Once thyroid problems and diabetes have been ruled out he can treat his itchy skin. (Get rid of the problem instead of treating the symptoms.. lol)

On the other hand, I use Dove bar soap exclusively. Do not use any lotions or liquid soaps. (they are detergents)
Vaseline is good on hands and feet. Apply at night. I too have dermatitis, but it is exacerbated by some preservatives in different products. (See its better to know what you have so you can treat it properly) Stay away from water as water makes the problem worse. I am not supposed to even load my dishwasher.

warm regards,

By Carol in PA (Guest Post)

I forgot to say in my previous post that I also take zyrtec for my allergies, and I think that helps it itching slightly. I understand that in 2008 that Rx will be available as a generic.

best of luck

This is a reply to Donita!
I'm sorry this response is so slow. We were caught up in the ugly ice storms at the first of the month and had to wait way too long for computer (modem) repair parts to get back online! I really missed Thrifty Fun!
You asked what our itchy skin condition is called. After many doctors and much frustration I think we probably have a fairly accurate diagnosis. It is called "keratosis pilaris" .........I think I spelled that right!! A very basic explanation is that our skin cells don't flake or fall off as easily as most folks. They build up and block the pores and/or hair follicles and don't allow the natual secretions from our pores to come out......I think it's called sebum (?). Because the old tough outer skin cells haven't fallen off the sebum can't come out and lubricate the skin....so it builds up in the pores and forms those itchy bumps. We find we have less problems with it in the summer......we spend a lot of time in the pool.....and I think that helps "rub off" the old skin. We also find that Dove soap causes less problems than other brands. We use the "buff puffs" to scrub the problem areas almost daily and use a good moisturizer on those areas too. My daughter also uses a lotion which contains a fairly high percentage of alpha hydrox.....??? on the children's upper arms every few days. This stuff (alpha "something" ) helps the skin to peel or slough off. I imagine anyone from the medical field who reads this is probably rolling on the floor laughing at my attempts to describe this condition. I apologize, but I'm trying to explain it the best I can, so non-medical people might understand. As I said before ....the Eucerin "calming cream or lotion" (they have both) works really well for me when I have an "itch attack"!

By Aamir K (Guest Post)

Please use citrazine tablets for itchy skin and it will help you from this bad disease.

I have one ankle that is very dry and itchy all the time. I have tried Sorbelene cream and it make my ankles itch and burn. I also tried quartozone creams and it keeps coming back. I have tried paw paw ointment and that makes it burn and itch, and a number of other types of creams that I have at home. If someone has a suggestion I would love to hear it as it wakes me up at night when it seems to be worse. thanks

By helen keller from Thirlmere, NSW

What is good for itchy skin, especially on back and feet?

By Rosie from Canada

My penis, in between my legs, and my legs itch especially at night. I don't sleep at all. I have scratched until I bleed. I can't even stay with anyone around because of the scratching. It is quite embarrassing.
Please, help and tell me what to do.
Thanks.

I was hoping if you could help me as I have rash around my arms. I was wondering what is the most efficient way to get rid of the itchiness and perhaps prevent marks appearing?

I was stung by a yellow jacket about 4-5 years ago. I sat back on a lawn chair onto a yellow jacket and I think the stinger broke off into my skin. My husband said there was no stinger in my back, but he didn't dig down into my skin. Since that time I have an itchy spot on my back in the same area where I was stung (it only itches in that spot). I've heard that if a stinger is not removed it will absorb into your skin? Is this true?

If so, can it cause any longterm effects such as a constant itching sensation forever or any type of longterm health concerns or illnesses? If the stinger was left in my back, is there anything that can be done now to stop the daily itching? Would an injection of cortisone into that area help? Or could the stinger still be there deep under the skin? And if so, could it be removed?

Blue Eyes from Westlake, Ohio

Answers

Yellowjackets don't normally leave behind a stinger, like a honeybee does.
Have you tried an antihistamine? I had this happen with a tick on my ankle, the area would sting and itch something terrible, and it went on for a good two years. It did finally clear up. I think I must have irritated it from scratching too much, maybe I got it infected. Seems like a doctor could find a way to help relieve your discomfort. Hope you get relief soon.

Hi from Brooklyn OH! I also would suggest seeing a doctor. Probably a dermatologist, or a general practitioner.

The nape of my neck is itchy and red. I have tried all sorts of prescription drugs, but nothing seems to work. I need help as I am fed up with scratching my neck. The doctor says it is eczema and gave me a shampoo with no luck. It appears to be associated with stress.

The skin on my outer ear itches constantly, there is no rash and nothing in the ear canal. It is all on the skin. I have tried all kinds of anti-itch creams, nothing works. It drives me to the point of distraction. What can I do? The skin on my entire body itches, but nothing as bad as the outer ear.

By Charlene

I just moved to a house that has well water and I have become extremely itchy. I have not changed laundry detergents or body wash or shampoo. I have always had city water and have never had this problem before. I thought it might be fleas, but I sprayed. I have used benadryl and a medicated ointment for itchiness and nothing helps. I am about to go insane. I have no clue what could be making me itch. I am starting to think I might be allergic to well water, lol. That sounds pathetic I know. Please help.

Health & Beauty AdviceJune 10, 2012
😎
🐛
😷
🌻
📓
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Remedies-for-Itchy-Skin.html