WeatherizingHome Improvement

Where Can I Find Plastic Film for Windows?

I am looking for a 6 mil 48 inch wide roll of clear not frosty plastic for storm window application. Does anyone know I might find this?

By Tim Johner from Suwanee, GA

Here in NE TN our Walmarts carry it this time of year. Otherwise, I'd try any hardware store.

The discount stores and home improvement stores all carry things like that.

Lowes, Home Depot, Red Barn any place that supplies building materials. Some places will be cheaper than others so take the time to look around.

Also, look in the yellow pages under plastic or plastic sheeting.

Lowe's or Home Depot should have it. Also your local hardware store.

I like to go to the Dollar General and they always have rolls of it. The hardware stores would have it.

I just finished covering a broken small window in two table cloths made out of plastic until I can get the windows fixed.

Walmarts craft section has several mill thicknesses of plastic sheeting on rolls of 5' wide by however long you need it. You can get clear, that looks like flowers, doilies, etc.

Hope that helps.
PBP

It's nobody's favorite, but plastic film can be a good short-term solution to poor performing windows, especially traditional stormwindows. Installed on the outside, it helps reduce air infiltration. The negative side of this is that it may frost over, reducing visibility and creating moisture problems. If placed on the inside, it can help stop heat through leaky windows. The other side of this is that the glue can damage stain or paint once removed.

prasannaa

Answers:

Around here we can find the window film at Walmart (where the fans and air conditioners used to be), Lowes, or Home Depot. It is seasonal so that's why you might've had a hard time finding it up til now. (10/20/2006)

By Cheryl from MOi

I've been using plastic "shrink wrap" for a number of years. it makes a definite difference, and I've never had a problem with it. The kits can be purchased at K-mart, Home Depot, Walmart, etc. I buy a box of three and it comes with plenty of tape. Also, you can get the "extra large" size and one for sliding glass doors. If you take your time, they are invisible, once you have blow dried them. (10/20/2006)

By Jean from MI