Dakota (American Eskimo/Beagle)

This is Dakota, my part American Eskimo and Beagle mix. He came to me when he was just a few hours old, on August 14th, 2003, as the runt of the litter of 6. He was very small, just 3/4 of an ounce and the vets in the area said he would not make it. The mother refused to take care of him.

I bottle fed him every two hours, stimulated him to make him go potty, kept him warm with a hot water bottle in his box and even had to burp him! I had to treat him like a real baby and it was worth all the sleepless nights to raise him. He is now going on two years old and is such a joy in my life. He loves to play, go chase the squirrels in the yard, go to the park and run, take car rides, and chew on ice. I have taught him to do many things and the one I like the most is the kisses and hugs!

eternallight

I have a kitten raised from 2 days old, and she is the joy of my life. I can't imagine how tiny and vulnerable your sweet baby was. There's nothing like the reward of it is there?

They give back so much more than we could ever give to them.

My Molly is now 2 1/2. I'm going to send in her picture one of these days.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Wow. It's hard to imagine a full-grown dog ever starting out at less than one ounce in size! He's very lucky that you were willing to take such good care of him. He has such a cute face!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Beautiful doggie, and a great story. I completely understand how you must feel as we've raised baby squirrels, motherless kitties and puppies and baby parakeets. They are so helpless and respond so well to the nurturing care that we are able to give them. It is certainly one of the most rewarding of experiences...to hold a tiny life in your hands, and be able to keep it alive just by the things you are able to do. I'm so glad you have a wonderful success story to share. Thank you. Julia in Orlando, FL

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Dakota is absolutey adorable! And what a touching story. You are definitely his guardian angel, and you saved his life. No wonder he loves you so much. You should write this story in detail and submit it to the Chicken Soup series of books. They publish exactly this type of story. Happy Birthday to Dakota -- it's only two weeks away!

zballoongirl

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Dakota is gorgeous and such a sweet face! Your history is so special and what a bond you two share.
Dakota looks like she is one proud happy doggie
what a gift you gave to her.
Oh being a cat person all my life I had a dog growing up but now I have a yorkie and he is rotton

and I love those kisses.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Dakota is beautiful, and so are you for being so devoted to him. I have a beagle/bassett mix, who was abandoned to a vet to be put down. He's a wonderful, loving friend -- beagles are wonderful (but then, so are all dogs!). I hope you and Dakota have each other for many more years.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

your dog is sooo cute!i have a eskimo/beagle mix and i tried so hard looking all over the net for someone who had the same looking dog and your dog matches perfect. god bless him!

sincerely
jackie

Reply Like this photo? Yes

My wife and I just got a new puppy, supposedly a cross between a beagle and an american eskimo.

We call her Zoey. She looks very similar to Dakota.
How big is Dakota,?
How much does he weigh?
Zoey was also the runt of the litter.
Just for giggles, here is a bad picture (we don't have a very good digital camera) of Zoey.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I also have an eskimo/beagle cross, her name is Alley she is now 6 but has the energy of a puppy! She can be a hand full but she is always full of energy and is incredable loyal...but i think she has some abandonment issues, she always howls wheni leave. She was fairly easy to train because of her love for food! All in all she is a great dog!

She looks a bit like Dakota but her ears stick straight up, the picture that "Ed" posted looks just like Alley when she was a pup.

There is a picture of her...its not the best photo to compair but its all i have on this computer!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I am looking for a bekimo. We just lost one that was with us for 13 years. if anyone knows of one needing a great home, please post on this site! We'd love a puppy!

thanks a bunch!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I love American Eagle dogs! I didn't realize what a treasure I had got for christmas last year till the little guy grew up!
Now my puppy is just over a year and I love him to death. His name is spot. The paperwork I got with him says Beagle/American Eskimo. I'm not dog smart at all! Dose the beagle being first mean that the father was beagle and mother was eskimo and when it comes to breeding does it matter?
I'm looking for a female American Eagle dog. Can anyone help please. Message me :) Thanks

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I'm so excited to finally find some info on our pup pup Floyd. He is an American Eskimo and Beagle. We love him dearly. He's a true part of our family and goes everywhere with us! He's energetic at the right times. He gets along great with other dogs and is good with kids. He is the smartest dog we've ever had. It's truly amazing how smart he is. This is a recent picture of him on our boat at the river- 3 yrs old, about 20 pounds.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Hey I've never had a dog before but I absolutely love them and I've been researching what the right breed for me would be when I stumbled upon the american eskimo/beagle mix. Unfortunately there is not much information on the internet or otherwise about this mix and I'd love to find out what a dog like this would be like.

Reply Like this photo? Yes