Ice Crystals Forming When I Freeze Bread

Whenever I freeze bread or buns and then try to thaw them, a lot of ice crystals seem to have gathered inside the wrapped loaf. After the bread thaws some of it is hard and not very appetizing. I usually end up throwing it away. What can be done to prevent this?

BSUE from Coshocton, OH

Perhaps your bread is still warm when you put it in the bag. This would cause condensation to form, and then that moisture would freeze into ice crystals. Make sure your bread is completely cooled before putting it in bags.

By ETTA (Guest Post)

VACUUM PACK YOUR BREAD BY SUCKING THE AIR OUT OF IT WITH A STRAW BEFORE SEALING. ALSO TRY DOUBLE BAGGING.

By Pam in RI (Guest Post)

Make sure the bread is double wrapped. The bag it comes in is not really made for freezing. I always freeze mine because I live alone so one loaf lasts a while.

I have had luck by putting a dry paper towel in with the bread before freezing and double bagging. Keep paper towel in the bread while thawing. I lay the towel at the bottom of the bread.

By Hanna (Guest Post)

Put your bread in a brown paper bag before you freeze it.

By Leigh Ann (Guest Post)

I found that I had this problem some time ago. I discovered that hanging the bread to thaw prevents the hard spots!

I have a heavy metal clip magnet that I clip to the bread bag at the tie and hang it from my range hood. Not much later I have soft, thawed bread! Good luck!

By (Guest Post)

I lay 2 to 4 slices on a square of "Press and Seal" wrap, fold it over the bread, and press it as close around the slices as possible. Then place the wrapped bread back into the original wrapper. Take them out of the freezer,as many as you need at a time, and let them thaw before opening the press and seal wrap.
Harlean from Arkansas.

By TC in MO. (Guest Post)

I agree with sucking the air out of the inner bag with a straw and double bagging. Also, I have found that bread doesn't keep even in the freezer but about a month or so. I will buy 3 or 4 loaves freeze all but one and by the time we use them up they are still good but if I wait any longer they are freezer burned.

TC in MO

By Becki in Indiana (Guest Post)

I think the key is in the thawing -- air needs to be able to circulate around the package as it thaws or it will be hard on the bottom or side. I like the idea previously posted of hanging the package -- I generally lay mine across the top of the toaster to thaw -- make sure it is COMPLETELY cool first!

Food and Recipes FreezingMay 6, 2006
💘
🍀

Generated 2020-01-28 11:38:12 in 2 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️

FreezingFood and Recipes