AdviceGardening

Ground Cover That Tolerates Heavy Rain

I am looking for an easy to care for ground cover that can tolerate heavy rains. I would like advice on how quickly they spread and what I need to start, etc. I have 18 inches surrounded by concrete along the side of my house. I have tried containers, but the bugs love those plants too much. Some plants have "drowned" there due to heavy heavy rains. This happens despite drainage holes.

By poepadoe from Okinawa, Japan

Anonymous

Creeping Myrtle is awesome! It's difficult to say just how quickly it will spread because it depends on the soil but usually just a year or two for a nice, thick bed if you plant then about a foot apart :-) It's easy to care for and has pretty little purple flowers in the Spring and tolerates both very hot weather (keep well watered) and freezing temperatures (does not lose it's leaves) :-)

I don't know what might happen with the heavy rains but they are pretty hardy so it's worth a try :-) Oh, and at least in my experience, they are bug resistant ;-)

http://ohioline … t/1000/1648.html Hope this helps or search for your question. Good luck.

You could plant:
Creeping Jenny, there are 2 varieties I like: Lysimachia nummularia, bright green foliage with yellow flowers, or Golden Creeping Jenny, which has gold foliage with yellow flowers( lysimachia aurea).
You can plant them on edges of ponds, along waterfalls or just let them tumble down from a tub garden. About 1" high, hardy perennial. They thrive in very moist soil.

Look also into Bocopa Lemon ( Bacopa Caroliniana), nice lemon scent, bright blue flower, Height: 4-8". Happy gardening. This plant is a bit higher, 4-8". Tolerate of full sun/ part shade.

Yellow sedum spreads quickly but it is very low to the ground. It blooms once for about 2 weeks and then goes back to it's regular yellow-green color. You can easily pull it up if it's in your way and can plant other plants right in the middle of it and it won't complain. Also, sedums come in red (which likes full sun and is beautiful)and in tall varieties.You may want to look them up and see if one is right for you.