Need More Time To File Your Taxes?

If you can't meet the April filing deadline (Midnight, April 17th this year) to file your tax return, you can get an automatic six month extension of time to file from the IRS.


Here are some things to remember about filing extensions:

  • File Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, with the IRS by the April deadline, or make an extension-related electronic payment.

  • The extension will give you extra time to get your paperwork to the IRS, but it does not extend the time you have to pay any tax due.

  • You will owe interest on any amounts not paid by the April deadline, plus a late payment penalty if you have paid less than 90 percent of your total tax by that date.

  • You can e-file an extension request using tax preparation software on your own computer or by going to a tax preparer that has the software. The IRS will acknowledge receipt of the extension request if you file by computer.

  • You can use Free File to file for an extension. Many private-sector companies in the IRS Free File Alliance offer extensions for no charge. You can access Free File via the IRS Web site at Taxpayers with adjusted gross incomes of $52,000 or less may file their 2006 Federal Income Tax Returns electronically through Free File.

If you ask for an extension via computer, you can also choose to pay any expected balance due by authorizing an electronic funds withdrawal from a checking or savings account. You will need the appropriate bank routing and account numbers and must also have available the adjusted gross income from your 2006 federal income tax return to verify your identity. For information on these and other methods of payment, call 800-TAX-1040 (800-829-1040).

If your return is completed but you are unable to pay the tax due, do not request an extension. File your return on time and pay as much as you can. The IRS will send you a bill or notice for the balance due. To apply online for a payment agreement, go to, use the pull-down menu under "I need to ..." and select "Set Up a Payment Plan."

To obtain a copy of Form 4868 or other forms and publications use Efile tax preparation software, download them from or visit your local IRS office. Note that forms and publications can be ordered by calling 800-TAX-Form (800-829-3676). However, telephone requests normally take 10 days to fill and may not arrive before the tax deadline of April 17.


Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

In This Page
April 16, 2007
Back to School Ideas!
Pest Control
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.

Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2019 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Generated 2019/08/30 00:30:53 in 475 msecs. ⛅️️
Loading Something Awesome!