WaterConservation

Put Jar of Water in Toilet Tank

To use less water and save money, I fill a empty, clean mayonnaise or pickle jar with water and leave the lid off the jar. I then flush the toilet and put the jar of water in the tank as it is refilling. This way, I not only recycle my jar, but save on my water bill since you use less water with every flush!

By Kim Williams from Fairland, OK

Editor's Note: This may not work in a modern low flow toilet. Use common sense when testing this or any other tip you may find online.

Careful with this. Unless you have a very old toilet, it is calculated to flush with the minimum of water already. If you use less it might not wash the matter completely down the drains causing you plumbing problems later on.

Anonymous

It's a good idea to save water but I think on many toilets you can adjust the water level instead. Great recycling idea with the jar! :-)