SidesCopycat

Homemade Rice-a-Roni

A cheaper version of the classic Rice-a-Roni mix. I hate paying high prices for the foods my family loves and try to recreate as many as possible.

• 1 pkg. angel hair pasta or any skinny spaghetti
  • rice
  • bouillon cubes, any flavor you like
  • butter
  • onion
  • mushrooms (fresh or canned)

Directions:

Put pasta into food processor and cut into about 1/4 inch pieces. Add equal parts of rice to the mix.

To cook, determine how much mix you need for the meal. Add butter or oil to saute pan, add onion and pasta mix, heat mixture until the pasta turns golden brown. Add water and your choice of bouillon Add mushrooms and simmer until tender.

By Michelle Landreth from Lanett, AL

Anonymous
Top Comment

Thanks for sharing your Rice a Roni recipe! I add a little bit of minced garlic during the saute. Personally don't care for mushy mushrooms so don't use them but that's just my pickiness showing - LOL!

Also, you can save a step by purchasing pre-cut vermicelli (vermicelli is what's used in the boxed Rice a Roni). I find mine in the Mexican isle of my market and it actually costs a little less money per ounce.

Oh, one more thing! Herb Ox brand bouillon granules are available with no sodium if sodium is a health or taste issue for you. 1 tsp granules equals 1 cube.

Top Comment

I wanted to post feedback on the Homemade Rice-A-Roni. I made it tonight and it was delicious! I used wheat pasta in place of the white and stirred fried it for a while in 1 tablespoon of oil. Then I fried a small chopped onion in some oil. I'm not fond of mushrooms so didn't add any.

I used one of my Corning Ware dishes and added the wheat pasta, cooked onions, 1 tablespoon of parsley flakes, 1 cup of white rice, and 2 cups of vegetarian chicken broth.

I set the dial on my microwave at medium and cooked for 20 minutes. My husband loved it. It was so good that we both ate two huge helpings, and still have some left over for another meal.