Cleaning Smoke Residue From Ceramics And Porcelain Figurines

After a house fire, I had many glass and ceramic items to clean. The polyurathane that had coated my walls left a film like black glossy paint on them. I found if I soaked them in ammonia over night, they washed clean, even my Hummels.

I used a plastic paint bucket with lid. I also found out the hard way without rubber gloves even the ammonia fumes would burn my hands!

Hope this helps someone out. Fires are one of the worst things that can happen to a family. Most of my treasures were from my late mother-in-law. I was so happy to be able to save and clean them without damage.

By Tomboy53 from Conway, SC

i have a $10 porcelain or ceramic incense burner, it takes the cones and the smoke comes out of the mouth and ears, burning these leaves a bunch of residue, i found out that hot, soapy water helps loosen it, and walmart brand heavy duty oven cleaner sprayed inside of it(only spray the inside) will remove it

Thank you for your help. I'm going to use your advice on cleaning my figurines. We also had a devastating house fire three years ago and we lost everything from our own 25 year marriage and memories of 3 children, also it was my mother's home before that with my grandparents so we lost all of those memories as well. I'm thankful and blessed that my children were able to get out safely. The few figurines that I was able to salvage are terribly covered and I've been so afraid I would do more damage if I tried to clean them so I thank you very very much for the input!
Terri