RoofHome Improvement

Removing Stains from Roof Shingles

We live near the ocean and have a lot of hurricanes come our way. The last one, Hurricane Irene, left horrible green stains on the shingles of our roof. There was no leakage. We have tried pressure washing it too no avail. Any ideas? I don't want to replace a perfectly good roof.

By Vickie

Anonymous

Did you have it professionally power washed by a roofer with knowledge and experience in doing it? If so and the stain still didn't come off I personally would just accept the stain as a badge of honor that you live near the ocean and that Irene didn't remove the shingles and your home came through intact after her visit :-)

First of all I would like to tell you that when we bought our house, the man who did the inspection for us told us to never have the roof power washed as it will loosen shingles. What he did tell us was to get the gallon sized sprayer in the garden dept. at Walmart or Home Depot. Fill with half water and half bleach. Get up on the roof - or have someone else do this, spray a section of roof and let the mixture sit for about 10 minutes. Drag your garden hose up there and then rinse that section off. Keep going until you've completed the whole roof. I live in FL along the SW Gulf Coast and the roofs here get a black mold on them. Doing this every few years seems to help.

Anonymous

Vickie, please forgive me for using an incorrect word. I use the words pressure and power interchangeably and didn't mean power washer as in the kind that is used for concrete and bricks, etc. I know how much damage a true power washer can do even to brick and concrete surfaces; especially if not used properly.

You mentioned in your question that you pressure washed it and that's why I asked if a professional had done it. Did you use a pressure washer wand (not a regular garden hose nozzle) attached to your hose? Here's a link that might be a helpful start as to how to do it properly and what chemicals you should and shouldn't use. There are oodles of other how to links on the web too:
http://pressure … -roof/index.html