RefinishingFurniture

Wallpapering Panels of Old Wardrobe

I want to wallpaper the panels of an old wardrobe, it is varnished. Do I have to put primer on it or can i just sand then use enamel paint? I would appreciate any help!

zoodlepoodle from UK

I see no need to sand or primer before wallpaper. Use a stripable type--if you have a wallpaper place you can get one roll pretty cheap-- use enough water but not enough to saturate the wood of the panel. Watch that it dries well-- it should work. If you are doing several panels-- try one that is less visable first-- I have been wrong!
good luck

Depending on the shape that the varnish is in, you should lightly sand(if not cracked and peeling off) and use a tack cloth to remove dust, then paper. If it is cracking and peeling badly, you may want to totally remove all the varnish first with an electric sander or stripper for varnish and sanding before papering, as any chunks in the varnished surface will make lumps in the wallpaper's surface.

You should sand it slightly to create a "tooth" for the next application to adhere to. Make sure you remove all dirt and dust.

Next, use an oil-based primer to seal in the varnish. (you don't want it leaching through). After the primer cures, put the wallpaper on. No need to paint, primer is less expensive anyway.