My Frugal LifeFrugal Living

My Frugal Life: No House Or Car Payment

Three years ago my husband and I sold our home. We made enough off of the sale to buy a mobile home and 2 - 1/2 acres of land. The upside of this is, our home is paid for, no mortgage. My Frugal LifeThe downside is we are on a dirt road, which turns to mud during a lot of rain. A car is not suited for this type of life style, which is what I have had for two years.

We decided to sell the car, that payment is gone.I slowly began to realize the title/pawn business were selling quite few trucks and SUVS. The average price of a "used" (repo'd) truck or SUV is anywhere from $200.00 to $800.00. I missed the first two SUV's within minutes, the third I bought for $800.00. It is a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4 wheel drive. Just what is needed for a dirt road. And it's paid for. This is our frugal life style.

By missysmom from Atmore, AL

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

I think you made a wise decision! Cars don't do well on mud. You also have the advantage of quiet and space. You can garden, and embrace a peaceful lifestyle.

Thanks for the tip about buying a used vehicle! I started reading your post and thought it was something I wrote and forgot about. We moved to the country, outside of Bonifay, Florida, almost 2 years ago after selling our house in Enterprise, Al and bought a single wide mobile home on 2 acres of land off a dirt road.

:-) We love the peace and quiet but had to do some work on this mobile home to fix it up. But we are mortgage free and no car payment, as we buy for cash only.

Great story. Good luck with the new lifestyle!