BulbsGardening

Starting A Bulb Garden

I would like to start a bulb garden. I live in New York, I believe it is in zone 7a. I really want to do as little work as possible because I have to help maintain 4 separate gardens. I would love to plant them and forget them. I would prefer hardy bulbs that I do not have to dig up to replant later on. It doesn't have to be just bulbs, any flowering plant that I will never have to replant will do.

Gina from Ozone Park, NY

By Ashley (Guest Post)

I would suggest perennials which are plants that come back year after year. Some will bloom all summer, some bloom for only a few weeks but are really spectacular, some bloom early, some in late summer, some have great looking leaves..etc. Go to your local garden center and find someone there who knows about them. They will be able to help you choose a selection so that you have something blooming most of the year. Buy smaller plants because they will grow and get bigger every year. Good luck!

I am with you on finding a sane approach to gardening since you are carrying so much. On the other hand, remember the landscaper's saying about the dream of totally maintenance-free gardens: When there is no gardener, there is no garden.

By (Guest Post)

I live in NJ, a few miles from NYC. I have daffodils, tulips, gladiolas and iris,as well as, hyacinth, and crocus.

They come up for years without digging up. I add a few more each year.