General ParentingParenting

Make Picture Cards for a Non-Verbal Child

We are always needing pictures for our non-verbal son. We have saved greeting cards to cut appropriate pictures, and then laminate them. He can use these pictures to start conversations about birthdays, and other holidays. They are very colorful and he loves his picture cards. It cost next to nothing (just the laminating), and always have new ones for him as soon as people send cards!

By Beth from Ft. Blackmore, VA

What a wonderful idea in order to help him. I bet not many others have thought of that. I bet your always looking now in yard sales etc for them to laminate, and you know lots of companies give you free samples so I bet if you emailed Hewlett Packard and told them what its for they would send you sample laminating sheets. God Bless Him.

I have been working with non verbal children who also have autism. I have taught many of them simple signs like "drink", "eat", "play", "cookie", "shoes", "love", etc.

I have taught these to kids as early as 18 months old and they never forget it; and you don't have to worry about losing cards are carrying them with you. You always have the signs. As they get older they can be taught the alphabet as well and will always have a means of communication.