AdviceGardening

Recycling Cement Blocks from Renovation

We are renovating a small home in the tropics of Qld. We are going to replace a falling wall with a window or door. In order to do this we have to remove the current wall which is made up of cement blocks, most will break during the demolition side, however having done this before (during summer!), I believe that there would be an easier, but more so, global friendly way to recycle these blocks in our garden, or something around the house. We also have to hire at least two skips due to the weight so any 'in home use' would automatically save us. We have young children and a large dog that loves to dig holes (her record is 53cm deep by 90cm wide! [About 21 inches deep by 35 inches wide])

Thanks in advance,
Rachel & Family from North Queensland.

By Anne H. (Guest Post)

They would work for a small retaining wall. You could also sink them a bit under the dirt and use them as stepping stones in your garden.

By ruth (Guest Post)

Agreed. We just added yet another tier to our back yard and "hid" the concrete from our sidewalk on the inside of the walls, made out of salvaged rock. The sloped back yard now has garden tiers.

By rich51 (Guest Post)

I use recycled concrete blocks as outdoor shelving for my house plants during the summer. You can stack them in a stair-step or other formation.

For stepping stones in my yard, I use broken up pieces of sidewalk from a nearby landfill. I break them up with a sledge hammer into 10-12 inch irregular shapes. Most are 6 inches thick so I get a workout breaking and toting them. I've also seen these used borders to create raised flower beds.