CoffeeBeverages

Adding Chicory to Ground Coffee

Has anyone ever added chicory root powder to their ground coffee prior to brewing? I have heard it creates a nice "mellow" flavor. Thank you!

By amy from Seattle, WA

Take it from a Louisiana coffee drinker, there is nothing "mellow" about chicory. It is strong and bitter and definitely an acquired taste.

I just buy mine with the chicory in it - good Louisiana brands. And jrmahon's right. :) But it's good stuff if you like it.

I should go look on the can to check for sure, but I think Chock Full O Nuts has some chickory. Costs more than, say, Maxwell House, but way cheaper than the "boutique" brands and very good coffee!

Chock Full O Nuts ? That sounds interesting! So, chicory is NOT so mellow. Hmmmm.

Still curious, however! =) Wish I could find some chicory in a small amount so I could test it out, but I have not had any luck thus far.

I hope you realize the chicory used when making cooffee is roasted chicory roots that are ground, and not the leafy vegetable
They actually resemble coffee and are mixed with the coffee and then brewed the same way...but I've heard they develop too much bitterness if left at serving temp too long or for that matter, if brewed
over long. I can't seem to find any these days..if you know of a source please post info to ThriftyFun.

I used to buy Coffee Partner ground chicory at my local Giant Grocery Stores, however, since Stop and Shop bought them they no longer carry it.

Here is a source online which I order from now.
www.cajunsupermarket.com/product_info.php?products_id=1303...

Jennifer
Norther Virginia