Saving Up for Special Memberships

I have been trying to come up with a spare $100 to renew my membership to the San Diego Zoological Society but never seem to have the spare cash. The last renewal solicitation I received spurred me to take action. I pinned the envelope on my bulletin board (beside the desk) and any money coming in from refunds, part of the extra money I earn babysitting , and other little bits will go into the envelope. I don't think it will take too long this way.

By Linda from Vista, CA

I love this idea! Often out of sight is out of mind, so this could work.

i also put back the xtra money from going to the grocery store,here we have a county market grocery store and if you have what they call a max card(a money saving card you swipe when they have a sale)i would take whatever i saved from sale item and put away as if i had never had the card in the first place and would have had to pay full price for my items. i saved $200 in 2 months

If you anticipate this to be an annual expense than plan for $8.50 a month. Isn't $8.50 easier to save than $100? You can save that much by using coupons, saving change, taking it out of your paycheck with your bills, etc.

Then put it in a separate savings account, one that you won't use often. ingdirect.com would be great place. Or..at your own bank or credit union, open a 12 month dedicated savings. It's a CD that you can add to during the term plus you earn a CD rate. When it matures, pay your membership and begin again.

Except ... Am I the only person who would not have bought the item on sale or for which I had a coupon if it were not on sale or I did not have a coupon? So I surely would not take the "discount" that enabled me to purchase the item from my pocket as if it were excess spendable cash, it's part of my budget.

Budget & Finance Saving MoneyJanuary 23, 2006
💘
🍀