AdviceHome Improvement

Make Friends with the Maintenance Folks

This sounds weird, but make friends with your work maintenance people. I have gotten two side tables (parts of desks), a four-drawer filing cabinet, a set of shelves and many, many office supplies all because they were throwing them out and the maintenance men knew I like a good deal.

By Kathleen K.

Anonymous

It doesn't sound at all weird to me. My son is a maintenence supervisor for an apartment complex in Las Vegas, and believe me he'll go out of his way to give special attention to those who are friendly and kind. I was always taught growing up to be friendly to those who do a service for you, even if it is their job. Offer a cold glass of water or a soft drink. I've always had good service. My grandmother always kept a pitcher of ice water on the kitchen counter to give to the bread man, the milkman, the mailman etc. The nicer you are to them, the nicer they are to you.