Washing Brushes and Combs

To clean my combs, brushes, hair picks, etc., in the morning I fill a large empty Cool Whip bowl (or you can use any bowl not used for cooking) with hot water and dishwashing detergent. By the time I get home in the evening, all I have to do is brush the brushes against each other or use a comb to pull the hair and accumulated lint or hairspray residue from one end of the brush to the other. Then you just rinse them under hot running water and they look good as new.

By Demelza from Falfurrias, TX

Anonymous

Bravo for sharing this tip! I take cleaning hair utensils for granted and never would have thought to share about it! Just a little advice from a hairstylist, who retired after 35 years, that it's easier to clean the hair out of the brushes with a comb before you soak them and then just rub the brush bristles against each other and against the combs after soaking. Also, they'll be more thoroughly clean if you simply place them in a sink with just enough water to cover, instead of a small container where they are not completely submerged. ;-)

I am even thriftier when cleaning my brushes and combs. I simply add them to a load of laundry - plenty of soap and hot water already being used anyway. After the load is finished, I remove them and air dry.