Home RemediesHealth & Beauty

Remedy for Dry Cough

Does anyone have a remedy for dry cough in elderly people?

By Diana

Assuming that sucking on a lozenge is not working, you might want to rule out reflux and other conditions that can irritate the throat, such as allergies. I would suggest a check-up, then ask about trying an acid-reducer or OTC allergy medication trial.

I coughed for 6 months non stop, had two chest xrays done and nothing. A relative who is a nurse told me it was my blood pressure meds, Sure enough thats what it was. Happens to 20 percent of us who take meds that end in peril, as in my case was lisentaperil. [sp] After they changed my meds I quit coughing.

Lisinopril is the med that can make some people cough a dry hacky cough. If this is what is happening the person must get off the med and take something else. The Dr. should have asked or warned about this. If the Dr. says no tell him to read the printout or call a pharmacist.

Please go to a Dr. for diagnosis. My sister did not and she ended up dying of something that was easily taken care of. Let your Dr. do some testing if possible to rule out anything serious. I am left alone without my sister because she didn't think it was serious enough to see a Dr. about. Please take care.

Something as simple as dry air (or dust or mold) can cause a cough. I start coughing every winter (& my sinus hurts) when the heater is turned on because it dries the air, until I start using my humidifier.

A lot of medications can cause coughing as a side effect, & a lot of Doctors don't know,or forget to tell you this-or don't believe it! Check with the doctor first, then check this website to see if anyone else is having that symptom form any of the medications. http://www.askapatient.com/

Could be fluid buildup (congestive heart failure), could be sinus infection. My mother-in-law just had surgery where the infection had eaten through her bones over her eyes. Had no clue! Check it out first! God Bless.