Wood Floor Stain Color Advice

When remodeling, choosing the wood floor stain is a part of creating the whole room color scheme. This is a guide about wood floor stain color advice.

What color can I stain my maple floor if the walls are honey knotty pine? I am involved in a complete kitchen remodel. My living room is paneled with honey knotty pine and my kitchen, that is next to the living room has the same maple floor. I want to stain the floor with a walnut color and paint the cabinets white. Another option would be to stain the base cabinets in the same walnut color of the floor and paint the upper cabinets white. My appliances are white. Will it be a good color scheme? I would appreciate your suggestions. Thank you very much.

By Maria E.

Answers

Walnut is very dark and will make the rooms look smaller plus showing dust easily. When faced with a second home having knotty pine paneling, I stained the floors a lighter shade of the walls. This was a special mix, but a good paint store can and will do this. Have you considered using dark accent rugs as a dark floor is always dark and a lighter color is easier to change. Use a darker version of this color on the cabinets along with the white will give more unity to your home. I used white pulls on the cabinets which were stained a dark version on the knotty pine. True walnut has a purple cast to it, and it and honey knotting pine will contrast to a gray tone as they are near contrasting colors. Get samples of the colors and look at them at different times of day and in different lighting and in different places in your home.