OdorsCleaning

Odors When Wood Gets Hot

When it gets hot or humid, my mom says the wooden shelves in her bedroom give off a nasty smell. They have been treated and have been shellacked. What could we use to throw in back of the shelves so they don't stink when it gets hot? I thought of maybe dried orange peels, but I don't know how to dry them. Any other ideas on what she could use? Thanks in advance for your answers.

By Jennifer from Tonawanda, NY

You don't need to do anything special to dry those orange peels, they'll dry naturally with time. However, you might consider keeping them contained. If a cup or dish is inconvenient, I'd imagine you could recycle any sort of net bag, like the kind onions come in from the store. Hang it on a hook or hanger. You can probably use the same method with potpourri.