Maintaining Your Candles & Candle Holders

Here are some tips for getting the most out of your candles and candle holders without a lot of fuss:

  • Always cut the wick of the candle to 1/8 of an inch before lighting and allow the candle to burn long enough so that the hot wax extends to touch the candleholder on all sides. This will ensure that the candle burns down evenly which will maximize the length of time your candle will burn. Cut the wick every time you light your candle.

  • Keep your candle away from drafts. Drafty areas will cause the wick to dance back and forth. Smoke will then emit from the wick and could cause soot stains on your candle holders.

  • Always make sure you use the appropriate sized candle for the holder. Never, for example, burn a votive candle in a tea light holder. This can cause glass or crystal holders to break from excess heat.

  • Do not ever use anything that wasn't meant to be a candleholder to burn a candle in/on. Again, this could cause breakage or even explosion.

  • Burn candles down as much as possible to eliminate the need to rid your candleholders of excess melted wax.

  • Remember that the longer you let melted candles sit in a holder, the more difficult it will be to remove the wax.

    Save yourself the trouble by taking care of the problem straight away. As soon as you notice that the candle has burned down to a point that you won't burn it anymore, snuff the wick and allow the wax to become solid.


    Place the holder in the freezer. Placing the cup/holder upside down is ideal.

    After about 10-15 minutes you should be able to take the holder out, give the holder a little smack on the bottom with the palm of your hand and the candle should pop right out.

    If it does not pop out and/or if you have waited a while before trying to take the wax out of your holder, take a wax scraper or a butter knife and begin to cut into the candle in a straight line. Before you have gotten halfway down, the candle should pop right out.

    * Those rubbery washable butter knives they sell at the supermarket are ideal to use to protect your holder from nicks and scratches.

  • In order to maximize your candles and protect your property you should always read the labels! Burning a pillar candle is very different from burning a candle that is contained in a glass jar.

  • Also remember to keep candles out of the reach of pets and children. Wax isn't easily removed from some surfaces and fires that could result from misuse can be disastrous!

Good luck and happy burning!

About The Author: -tips compiled by a candle professional and enthusiast-

Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

By (Guest Post)
April 1, 20050 found this helpful

I burn a lot of candles and I have found it much easier to remove wax from my candle holders with a little heat.

For NON-metallic candle holders; (I remove the metal wick holder from the bottom before burning the candle) I place these candleholders in the microwave for a few seconds to melt the wax out of them. Be sure to place a paper towel under them to absorb the melted wax. Usually after I have gotten most of the wax out I will heat it one more time and wipe it off with a papertowel.


For Metallic candleholders; I have a large glass dutch oven that I fill with water and put it on to boil. While waiting for it to get hot, I pick off as much wax as I can and place my candleholders into the water (gently as to not break them). Right after the water comes to a boil I remove it from the heat and place a wooden spoon in the pot. Once the water has cooled, all of the wax will rise to the top of the pot and harden. I use the wooden spoon as a handle to remove the wax in one large piece. My candle holders/sticks come out beatiful everytime.

I try not to buy candle holders or sticks that have any plastic on them, I have not tried these methods on plastic. And I will also avoid candlesticks with glued on decorations, I don't know if pieces will fall off in the boiling water.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
By Meari (Guest Post)
April 7, 20050 found this helpful

I've been recycling my wax and saving it to make more candles. I melt the old candle in the microwave (if in glass holders) for a minute or so.


Then I dump the wax into a container for later use. I wipe the glass holder out with paper towels and they can be used again.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

In This Page
Home and Garden Home Improvement Lighting and ElectricApril 1, 2005
St. Patrick's Ideas!
Valentine's Ideas!
Birthday Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2023-01-14 19:09:40 in 1 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2023 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.