Tree HealthTrees

Helping a Live Oak Tree

My husband and I are having trouble with our Live Oaks in our front yard. The couple that lived here before us had them planted when they moved in but obviously did not take care in raising them. They are straggly and just now growing properly. My neighbor came over and trimmed some of the dead branches and some of it is slowly coming back. I just know they should be much bigger and fuller then they are now. Any suggestions?

TexasTeacher

By (Guest Post)

I live in Florida and we have a couple different types of oaks. Some oaks grow the way you described yours. You may want to check and compare yours to see.

I use to work in a Nursery and alot of the oaks are very slow growers and take a long time to fill in. You may need to find out what kind you have.

By Arthur Atwood (Guest Post)

Two years ago I purchased a Live Oak Tree and although it has doubled in size, I am wondering if I should trim the lower branchs to help in the growing & shaping of it.