Recycled CraftsCrafts

Recycling Thermal Backed Curtains

I have thermal backed drapes that are not good. I am wondering if it is possible to remove the thermal layer? I could then use the fabric part for fillers in quilts that we make at church. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Fran from WI

I sorted through our curtains, sheets, towels, and blankets and donated them to the local animal shelter. They weren't all pretty and perfect, BUT they are needed for bedding and warmth for the animals and were very much appreciated.

Hope this helps a bit.

By HaleyP (Guest Post)

I wanted to make chair toppers for my diningroom chairs and the two at my breakfast bar. I bought a set of the thermal backed curtains you are talking about at a thrift shop for a couple of dollars. I traced a pattern out of newspaper. I was able to make 8 chair toppers, a runner and a very large table cloth with some fabric left over.

I didn't remove the rubber backing because it's great for making these items non slip. You can see them and the runner in this photo. It was gold tapestry material with the thermal backing. I did have to use wax paper when sewing them on my sewing machine whenever the rubber backing was against the base of the machine to make it slide.