AdviceCrafts

Directions to Make Dishrags

Does anyone have directions or a pattern to make dishrags? My sister used to make them for everyone. She has passed and I thought I would continue . Thanks.

Cathy from Boardman, Ohio

By (Guest Post)

majorknitter.typepad.com/.../dishrag_and_magazine_photo.html

My mom makes these all the time - I think my siblings and I each have more than will last us the next 5 years!

Here is the one I do all the time. Cast on 4 stitches. Turn. Knit 2, yarn over, knit to the end. Continue this until you have 43 stitches on the needle. Next knit 2 together, yarn over, knit 2 together, knit to the end. When there is only 4 stitches left, cast off. You can hand crochet a string and then attach the end to form a loop. This is used to hand up the dishcloth. Hope this helps. If you don't understand the instructions as I have put here feel free to e-mail me at ritaannette AT sympatico.ca.

By Dawna W. (Guest Post)

To crochet, chain 24 using a J-K hook. hdc in both loops until dish cloth is square or desired size. I also make washcloths using same pattern but sc in back loops only.

It makes a really nice soft face cloth. Be sure to purchase 100% cotton yarn. Everyone loves getting these for gifts and they take less than an hour to whip up while hubby watches sports. Have fun!

I make mine from cotton postal string or what they used to call butcher string, and I just use a J hook and a granny square pattern and just keep going until it is the size that I like. Made these for Christmas gifts for all the gals at our doctor's offices one year, and they loved them. If they get a little dingy looking with use, just soak them in Bleach water, and they look like new again.
Harlean from Arkansas