RefrigeratorAppliances

Repainted A Refrigerator

Does anyone have some ideas on how to repaint a fridge safely. I have a fridge that has rust on it due to having it cleaned with cleaners. It is not a flat surface but sort of patterned.

Doc from Alberta, Canada

I had my frig repainted when I redid my kitchen. The guys that did the wall painting did it for me. Basically, I think they lightly sanded it, taped off all the chrome parts and handles, removed the grill, and using a paint gun, painted it w/a paint for metals. This was done outside, of course, and they had their protective gear on. Good luck!

I had the same experience as the first post. They did it in the house, but sealed up my kitchen with plastic. They used special appliance paint. This was done 18 years ago, and it still looks good, but that's because I heeded their advice to not use any magnets on it.

I repainted a frig that survived a fire, a freebie; using plain ole high-gloss spray paint. Don't think it was especially for metal. Just make sure you tape well, and sand those rust spots. Use short even sprays--try a side that won't be seen as much first, to get the hang of it.

THank you all for the info!!!

I successfully repainted my refrigerator. It was almond and I wanted white.

The product I used was "Klenk's", which is an apoxy based paint made especially for painting appliances, tubs, tiles, etc. http://www.swin  om/8100_8199.htm

In the Ottawa area, Home Depot does not carry it any more, but Home Hardware, as well as Sico paint stores do.

If you can't find Klenk's, do a search on "apoxy based appliance paint" or just "appliance paint" as there are other brands.

A few tips: Once mixed, this stuff is like water, not like your usual paint. Since it is hard (if not impossible to remove) once it is dry, take precautions.
Apply it with a foam roller. For a second coat, use a new roller as the paint from the first coat deteriorates the foam and little bitty pieces come off as you paint. If it's just for small areas, use a small (but disposeable brush - you can't clean the stuff) and dab rather than spread it on.
When mixing, do not add the two products together at once. Instead add a bit of one into the other, mix and incorporate, then add some more until it is all mixed.

My fridge looks great!

Good Luck!

Joyce (Ottawa, Ontario area)