Growing Mint for Tea

Is fresh mint tea considered green tea or is there a special process that needs to be done?

By Martha L.

Mint is an herb, so it is considered herbal tea. Mint is very, very easy to grow. I live in northern Ohio, and my mint comes back every year and thrives. I have not made hot tea with it, but I do put it in my iced tea, and I cook with it, and it is wonderful. No special preparation is required. One word of caution - mint will spread like crazy and take your garden or yard over. I planted mine in big pots, and that contains it. Just dig a hole in the ground big enough to hold the pot, leaving a few inches of the pot out of the soil. I love running my hand through the leaves and having that wonderful smell on my hands.

Green tea is actually from the same species of plant as regular black tea. I used to keep a pot of mint growing on the windowsill to make tea. I'd just snip off a few fresh leaves and let them steep for a few minutes in a mug of hot water, with a little sugar or honey added for sweetness.

You can strain the leaves out if you like but you don't need to. To dry the leaves you can spread them on a cookie sheet in a low oven and bake until they're crispy and dry. You can freeze chopped mint in ice cubes too for adding to drinks or recipes. :-)

You can buy pure peppermint teabags in the store, that's what I usually do. I want to start growing my own peppermint for my tea, I bought a plant last summer & didn't get it planted, so I'll start this summer hopefully.
On a side not, we had a huge mint plant in the back yard when I was a kid - our beloved Samoyed husky considered it his favorite place to pee - we didn't use it for our tea needless to say, LOL!