Cleaning Up Baby Powder Residue on Floors

Category Floors
Baby powder is very fine and can easily get on surfaces other than what was intended. If you need to be cleaning up baby powder residue on floors use these handy ideas.

I use baby powder after my daily shower and to cool down in between on hot days. Not surprising, it drifts throughout the house leaving a dusting of powder over everything. I always vacuum the flooring first, but no matter what cleaner I use to mop my flooring with, there is always a residue left from the baby powder. I usually have to rinse the floor 3 times to get it all up.

Any suggestions, other than the obvious to quit using the baby powder?

By Vicki from MI

Answers

Best Answer

I use powder in the bathtub, with the shower curtain drawn, and with the bathroom door closed, and don't have much residue anywhere else in the house. I find it easier to clean one room. Most of the excess powder is in the tub and can be washed down the drain. I use the hand held shower to wash down the inside of the shower curtain, and leave it drawn so it dries out. Hope this is helpful.

Best Answer

Cancer risk: Scientists have found talcum powder is linked to ovarian cancer. Women who use talcum powder every day to keep fresh are 40 per cent more likely to develop ovarian cancer, according to alarming research.

Scientists fear powder particles applied to the private parts may travel to the ovaries and trigger a process of inflammation that allows cancer cells to flourish.

Although previous studies have raised concerns over talc, the latest findings from the U.S. suggest that the risks are much greater than first thought. Now the researchers have urged all women to stop using talc immediately. Experts from Harvard Medical School in Boston studied more than 3,000 women. They discovered using talc just once a week raised the risk of cancer by 36 per cent, rising to 41 per cent for those applying powder every day.

The study also revealed that the risks were greater still for those with a certain genetic profile. Women carrying a gene called glutathione S-transferase M1, or GSTM1, but lacking a gene called glutathione S-transferase T1 ( GSTT1), were nearly three times as likely to develop tumours.

Around one in ten Caucasian women are thought to have this genetic profile, putting them at sharply increased risk.
Talc is made from a soft mineral called hydrous magnesium silicate, which is found throughout the world.
It is crushed, dried and milled to produce powder used in cosmetic products by millions. Some experts say it has chemical similarities to asbestos, which can cause a deadly form of lung cancer.

I would think you are using far too much baby powder. I use it every day and never have a problem with the powder migrating to other rooms. Just a small amount of powder does the job in making skin smooth and non-sticky. Good idea to apply the powder in the bathtub or shower and let the excess wash down the drain.

If you are shaking the powder on, I would suggest you use a puff or washcloth instead. Never thought about putting my powder on in the shower. Great idea! Love this site!