AdviceParties

Thank You Gift Ideas

I have a big "O" birthday coming up in Feb. Okay, I'll be 70! My adult children are giving me an afternoon party, it won't be a big deal just a nice gathering of family and some friends.

However, I'd like some ideas on a gift to give each of my kids (four of them, one daughter, 3 sons,) just to say thank you for all the good things you've meant to me in life.

As I'm a pensioner on a low income, it can't be anything wildly costly even though I would like to do that. I am USELESS at crafts, so it can't be a homemade. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Ellie from Melbourne, Australia

Hi Ellie,

Do you have any family photographs that perhaps they don't have copies of?

You could get them each a nice frame and insert some family pictures. I find the Warehouse very reasonable for picture frames. You could even pick up the larger frames with spaces for several photos! I think that would be nice if you're wanting to thank them for family memories. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Write them a letter about each of their births. How you prepared for their coming. What you were feeling, what were some of the news events, maybe add one of their first photos. If you have the time you can add some of the memorable moments through out their lives that made you proud.

Liz

Thank you Lulu and Jojo.Unfortunately--- those 2 ideas aren't swinging because I'm a professional writer, and the kids already have their birth stories etc, and they have all the photos too!

I appreciate you time.

Since you are a writer how about a poem of 70 things you love (about them) or 70 things you've loved about your life...endless possibilities

A personalised letter thanking them, praising them and mentioning what you admire about them should be a very sentimental and heart-warming touch. Otherwise, I agree with the photo collage idea above.

well i'm not trying to push you into your grave or anything but how about giving away some of your personal things like jewelry or some collectable they have always had their eye on. my grandma did that a few years ago and she is happy to see us using or displaying the things that she was proud of herself.

she did this when she was in the late 70's and she is now in her late 80's, so it wasn't as if she were on her deathbed, she just wanted to share them and not leave it to chance who got what after she was gone. i wouldn't do it publicly at a party either. take each one aside and give them the things you want THAT person to have.

My mother had an english ivy. She made cuttings from it and gave them to my brother and me as gifts in lovely pots.

Ellie, do your children live close? Do you like to cook....why not invite them all over for a home-cooked meal? Maybe there is something you fix that is their favorite.

Just writing a heartfelt thank you to each of them would be very nice indeed and something that they can put away and keep.

Perhaps you can take a special photo that day and make a copy for each of them....altho best if you can use a tripod and you can be in the picture as well!