JewelryCrafts

Make Your Own Natural Jewelry

Category Jewelry

Au Natural Jewelry is all about using natural material like wood, natural fibers and shells where possible. The look is relaxed. Rather informal. Very spontaneous.

With just some colorful wooden beads, string for crochet (or whatever fibers or strings you can get your hands on) and a pair of ear hooks from the hobby store, you can make a simple pair of wooden earrings.

1. Tie the string firmly to the bottom bead.

2. Use a needle. Thread the string through smaller beads and through the loop of the ear hook.

3. Tie a dead knot to secure the beads to the hook.

4. Use the needle to thread the string back through the beads, tie another dead knot and snip off the excess string. Add 1 drop of superglue in the bead to secure the thread.

It is easier to make natural bead bracelets. Use the elastic used in dress making and a needle with a very large eye for that. Thread the elastic through the beads, enough to go around the wrist with and extra bead or two for allowance, then tie a dead knot and hide the ends of the elastic back through the beads.

Personally, I feel that Au Natural jewelry is the easiest to make. Maybe because that is how I started. I even loved making all shell earrings. For those, you need shells with holes drilled through them. No drill? No problem. When I went for beach vacations, the locals would often sell shell necklaces very cheaply. Those shells have the necessary holes in them. I would buy lots of those, cut them up and make beautiful shell earrings make with wooden beads.

With jewelry making a dash of creativity and whatever you can get your hands on is all you ever need.

By Janice

About The Author: The writer is the webmaster of http://www.chea … ale.com/jewelry/

Perhaps, we all ought to go back to Natural jewelry.

Some of the oldest his of man's historical artifacts are personal adornments..

Wouldn't it be neat in 3 thousand years for some outer space traveler to dig up a violet flower preserved inside somekind of plastic .

Seashells? I would guess man has created glues that would last that long holding Jewelry together,again I would guess we would have to use indestructable plastic type string. My guess those out space visitors would then get how and why humans died out.

I do love those highly colored and polish stones you can make using a rock tumbler. If you are artistic you might be able to etche some kind of design on one string it up and use it for a Necklace or ring.

How about researching and finding all natural plant dyes for cosmetic and even coloring clothing articles.

I am wondering if it is possible to dehydrate small jewelry like wood products in those food dehydrators.

Would that wood be strong enough to become jewelry?

This subject matter has open up some new ideas for me to do some research and possible even create some natural jewelry. I want to thank you for your posting.

As Always

Mr Thrifty

Natural jewelry is great for those of us with metal allergies! It's also "in" right now. I've gotten more compliments on a crocheted necklace with bean clam shells and a single scallop than any other piece of jewelry I've worn. I think I made it in 15 minutes about 30 years ago. I just made it long enough to tie at the back, but you could also make it just long enough to slip on over your head. Although I live a thousand miles from the sea now, I have a stash of shells that I draw on for crafts of all kinds. Those shell leis from Hawaii are back in, or could be restrung in a different way with no trouble at all. I like fishing line (monofilament) because it lasts forever as long as you get the knot tight enough. Second choice is waxed dental floss. Now that I am semi-retired, I plan to explore lots of these possibilities!

I think this is a wonderful idea. Hopefully this will be more popular and children will start making some pieces.