Sterilizing Sponges

Sponges are often used for the dirtiest jobs in the house. Sterilizing them is the best way to make sure they are free of germs and viruses. This is a guide about sterilizing sponges.

I put kitchen sponges in my dishwasher and run the cycle with a cup of bleach. After the dishwasher disinfects of the kitchen sponges, I spray them with a disinfectant spray and place in the microwave for about 50 seconds on high power. After completion of using the sponges to wash the counters, stove and other areas of the kitchen, I once again wash the sponges thoroughly in hot water, spray with a disinfectant spray and place in the microwave for 1 minutes at medium/high power. Make sure that there is no metal elements on the sponges before placing them in the microwave for disinfecting purposes.

I also use the same method for micro-fiber cloths. The sponges and the micro-fiber cloths are laundered in hot water in the washing machine once a week; otherwise, they are washed in the dishwasher with bleach; the bleach also disinfects the dishwasher.

By JOSE

Whenever you run your dishwasher, tie or clip your dishcloth to the top rack of your dishwasher. It will get clean with your dishes! My mother does this. It saves both time and money on washing.

It is recommended that you heat your sponge in the microwave for a minimum of 2 minutes to kill all bacteria. This guide is about how to sterilize your sponge in the microwave.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

After cleaning the kitchen in the evening, throw your sponge or dish cloth in the top rack of the dishwasher. If you use a dishcloth clip it in the top rack. It will wash, rinse and because the water is so hot, it will sanitize and deodorize the sponge or dishcloth!

By Ellen

Answers:

Sanitize Kitchen Sponges

Sanitize sponges by putting them in the microwave for one minute OR soak in a mild bleach water.

By Syd (12/28/2004)

By ThriftyFun

Sanitizing Sponges and Dish Cloths

Thank You Ellen & Syd!! What super tips these are!! No more "aromatic" dish rags or sponges for me!! (01/04/2005)

By Marilyn

Sanitizing Sponges and Dish Cloths

Pls. advise for how long we can use same sponge before through it off? (04/17/2006)

By Aly

Sanitizing Sponges and Dish Cloths

What is a proper solution to soak clean cloths in between use? (10/17/2007)

By Sami

Love sponges in the kitchen but not the spread of household germs? Keep your sponges neat and clean simply! Each morning, rinse your sponge with a little soap. Leaving it wet, microwave it for three minutes. Be careful as it will be steamy!

Answers:

Sterilizing Sponges

I just tried this tip and the sponge almost caught on fire. I don't think I would leave it in for three minutes. (05/23/2007)

By I don't think I would try it

Sterilizing Sponges

Sponge size and microwave power would effect the amount of time to sterilize a sponge. What is and ordinary size of a kitchen sponge? I have not found any reference other than ordinary kitchen sponge as to size or the microwave wattage when on high.

(01/29/2008)

By Henry Stoltenberg