LaundryCleaning

What to Do with Really Dirty Clothes from Football Camp

Category Laundry

My son, (14 years old) just came back from football camp. Every clothing item that was white is now either brown or black.

Is there anything I can do, or should I use these items as rags?

Ginger Westra

when my kids went to camp, i bleached the things I could and just bought new clothes for them. They need new school clothes anyway?!

Soak them in a solution of dishwasher detergent

My brother worked in a dairy and had to wear white uniforms which got so filthy they wouldn't come white no matter how long she let her old style ringer washer run. So she would boil them in boiling water on the stove in her largest pans until they came clean which they always did.

I soaked my sons baseball socks (white) and pants (also white) in Oxi Clean overnight, then laundered as usual. I also used it for my older son's football clothing. It works much better than bleach as far as i'm concerned and you don't have to worry about it bleaching out parts that shouldn't be bleached.

When my son played football, we used Lestoil and a scrub brush to treat the uniform . It worked well.

Try oxyclean. I start the washer with a little hot water and add 4-5 big scoops. Let it dissolve. Switch to cold and add the clothes. Let them soak overnight. Run the cycle in the morning. I then wash them in regular detergent (Tide). This has saved alot of clothes for me.

When dealing with Football uniforms,just a word of caution.BE SURE to clean ALL PARTS including pads thoroughly after every game.I found this out the hard way.My son broke out during football season and when I took him to the Doctor he had ITCH from the dirty pads.It was terrible!!The whole uniform needs to be wiped out with disinfectant and sprayed after use.It sure put a damper on his desire to play football.

There is a color-safe bleach called Vivid (in a yellow bottle) that was the ONLY thing that removed red clay from the baseball fields from my son's Little League uniforms! I would scrub it into the stains with an old toothbrush, then soak overnight before washing.

I lay my son's gear down on the driveway and hose the dirt right off of them. You can actually see rivers of dirt and grime wash down the garment. Then, I soaked the items in soapy water for a bit then laundered as usual. He *sparkled*.