Getting Rid Of Day Lilies

Category Flowers
Day lilies, loved by some gardeners and hated by others, are very effective in spreading in your garden; maybe too good. This is a guide about getting rid of day lilies.

I have a day lily that is growing like a weed. It is taking over my entire lily patch, including my beautiful lilies that I have had for over 20 years. I am currently trying to dig them out, they are about 5 feet tall. They are multiplying like crazy. Has anyone else ever had this problem? Any ideas on what to do?

Charlotte from Kingston, TN

Answers

Hi, Good luck. I have completely dug them out twice now and they keep coming back. The actual roots are down too far and I don't get them all. Keep watching for them to start growing and dig them out. You can't pull them out because they break off. Loretta

Anonymous

These sound like Tiger Lily's and, yes, tough to get rid of ... I found that you have to dig down about a foot to a foot and a half and then sift through the dirt to make sure you have all of the tubers, many of which are no larger than a dime. Anyway, once you do that, any tubers that you might have missed will be growing a baby plant which is quite easy to dig up :-) Might take til the next growing season to get them all but then you'll be home free to enjoy the more well mannered Lily's :-)

I would put up a listing on Craig'sList and add a photo, so people could come get divisions. You can chop them out with an ax or hatchet. If you decide to keep some, keep them in a container. If you must use a chemical, I would go with Crossbow, not Roundup. Find it in a feedstore.

I would put a sign at the road. "FREE DAY LILY, YOU DIG." Someone would be thrilled to get a free mature Day Lily, I know I would!