AdviceParties

Inexpensive Party Ideas

I need inexpensive party ideas. I live in Barbados and we don't have a lot of money, so I need ideas that are not expensive.

By Amirah from Barbados

Hi, I live in Cambridge, UK and don't have much money either! I'm celebrating my 50th this year in my garden so I'm working on the garden so that it looks really pretty at the party. I've asked everyone to bring a bottle, and will ask a lot of people to bring either a salad or a dessert nearer the time. I know people won't mind. I've booked wine glasses that you can borrow for free from the local supermarket and my cousin has offered to organize the crockery.

I'm not bothering with a marquee or dance floor or anything costly like that. As the weather is so mild in the summer I'll just dot tables around the garden, borrowing extra if need be, and will dress them up with tablecloths (not matching) and put a little vase with flowers and candles on each table. There is a paved area immediately in front of my cottage in the middle of the garden where we can dance so I'm keeping that weed free and flowers in tubs well-watered.

I have all the music I need on my iPod so will borrow/buy a dock and speakers which will be plugged in on the window sill. It will all be very simple but well-organized and I'm really looking forward to it.

I'm expecting about 60 people. My daughter celebrates her 13th this summer so we're having a lunch party with extended family and godparents - again, accept all offers to bring dishes! In the evening, 7-10pm, she's having 16 friends over - they want a fun game of footie followed by food - followed by dancing on the little terrace. You can party if you want to - just don't be afraid to ask for help/contributions. Hope this is helpful and you are able to organize yourself some fun parties!