QuiltingCrafts

How Do You Sew a Quilt?

I would like to sew a quilt out of my three daughters outgrown baby clothes. I have never tried to sew a quilt. I've decided to go with the basic block pattern. (not sure what to call it, but all the blocks are the same size) All the blocks are cotton type material.

Here's the hard part, I haven't sewn with a sewing machine in years and am having trouble remembering terms, can anyone help me by telling me how to sew a quilt in simple terms? For example I know I need a liner for the back of the quilt but do I stuff it with anything inside?

Vicki in South Carolina

Once you have all of your squares sewn together, you can use an old blanket for the lining or purchase batting to make it warmer. This gets sandwiched in between the squares and the backing. To finish the edge of your quilt, you will need strips of matching or contrasting material to bind the quilt. You can use bits of yarn sewn through the quilt and tied. Hope these directions help.

sewingmamma

Perhaps you might want to get a library book or buy a book on beginning quilting. Quilt In A Day books teach some really really easy ways to finish quilt.

For my first quilt, I cut a twin size sheet for the backing because I could not find the color and size material I needed. I extended the sheet 2" all around the sewed front pieces for the edging. Just fold it over the front of the quilt and top sew it. I then sewed in the ditch the whole front side to give the quilted effect on the back. I did use a couple layers of thin batting for the stuffing. I used big squares and one piece for the back because it is a lot easier and faster to do. Thanks to my girlfriend, Donna, for showing me how to quilt, I am now on my 8th quilt.

a Rag quilt is an easy way to make each block as a sandwich ( front ,back and batting together) . Sew an X across each finished square.

Sew squares together with 1 " seam allowance ,join rows, then clip seam allowance to make a fringe. done. after washing the clips turn into a fluffy edge.

look on the internet for Rag quilts, to get the visual.

Lots of Fun too

Thanks so much. All of this will help me very much. Wish me luck and steady hands. Vicki in S.C.

Good luck! Be sure to send us a picture when you finish.