Cooking Brown Rice in a Rice Cooker?

How does a person cook brown rice in a rice cooker? I have had good success with long grain and basmati, but I think the brown would need to cook for a longer time. Any suggestions?

By Susan Meadors

Best Answer

I have cooked brown rice in my rice cooker. Add a bit more water, that makes the rice cook longer. I always have luck with this! PS spray the pan with PAM for easier cleanup!

Best Answer

I always cook brown rice in my rice cooker. I never really measure but add about a cup and a half more water than white rice and cook for about 45 minutes. I always check after half an hour to make sure I have enough liquid and add more if needed. I either use water with a couple teaspoons chicken base or use broth for a bit more flavor.

Best Answer

I, too, always spray the pan with PAM so it doesn't stick. Some of the newer rice cookers have markings inside for brown and white rice. However, ours is old and doesn't have that. So, for brown rice, I add water to the "next level."

For example, when using 3 measures of rice, the water guideline on the side of the pan says "3" (assuming 3 measures of white rice). When using brown rice, I add water to the "4" guideline. This works great for me.

P.S. I've also learned to cook wild rice separately (not with any other rice or grain). Otherwise, by the time the wild rice is cooked, the other rice is mush.

Best Answer

1 cup of rice + 1.5 cups of water
2 cups of rice + 3 cups of water
3 cups of rice + 4.5 cups of water

The instruction book for my rice cooker gives the proportions of water to rice for the various varieties of rice. I usually cook short grain sushi rice, so I can use the provided rice measuring cup and the water level lines in the bowl. But when I cook brown rice, I refer to the manual.

Actually, I made a copy of the page with the proportions for brown rice, and I have it tucked away in a kitchen drawer so it's easy to find. I've noticed the instructions for brown rice are for smaller amounts, and that brown rice makes more of a mess of my cooker (spatters through the vent hole of my lid).

Add more water to it. I did have the same problem before, I found out that I need to put more water than regular white rice and press the button at least 2 more times than the regular white rice.

Food and Recipes Recipes RiceJune 3, 2011
🌻
🐛
👒
🐰
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf54922290.tip.html