Bring Your Child to Work Day Ideas

Category Work & Family

I am trying to find new and exciting things to do on Bring Your Children to Work Day. Any and all ideas will be greatly appreciated. In other words, HELP!

Ralph from Brooklyn, NY

Read More or Comment...

Best Answer

We have tours, guest speakers (i.e. the fire department) then they have relay races on how fast to replace batteries in a smoke detector. They visit their parents work area for about an hour, we have a mock clinic with displays and then we have a DJ. We also have educational computer games

Best Answer

At my previous employer there were fun areas where you learn about the company, company swimming pool, cafeteria, lab center, and maybe you can have your child help you out with "fun parts" of what you do perhaps. Meet & greet other employees.

The best activity I ever did with my kids was to have all the kids and their parents plant TickleMe Plants. They loved watching the expanding soil wafers and planting the seeds. But most of all they enjoyed watching the plants leaves close when they tickled it.We used the classroom kits they have on line just search TickleMe Plant.

Next month our company is finally allowing us our first Bring Your Child to Work Day. A co-worker and I have volunteered to schedule activities for the day. Can anyone help with suggestions? We are a utility, and partial office - most of the childrens parents work out on the road and we will not be able to take the kids to them, but still need to keep them busy all day. We would love to make this a success after requesting it for so many years!

Thanks,
Snowbells from NJ

Answers:

Activity Ideas

The company I work for has done this for a few years now, some of the activities they included were:

The day was set up on a schedule and the children divided into groups, each group leader took care of their group for the day and followed the agenda (different activities at any one time for each group.)

It lasted about 8 hours, with only an hour of sit down time with the parents. These were only some of the activities, but I hope you get some ideas from it. Good luck and hope they have fun!

By kidseatfree.info

Pizza and a Tour

My daughter got to participate last year and had such a wonderful time. My husband works for the our local cable company. They brought pizza in for their parents and the kids to have lunch together. They had a tour of the facility. They had mini demos. They got to see how a bucket truck worked. This was a big hit.

The kids only got to spend an hour with their parents, the rest of the day they had activities planned.

By kimbers867

Put Them to Work

I have children visiting in the office often. I make sure to save up the shredding. Children of all ages love to shred. Even at 5, I have them doing some copying for me. If you have filing to do, save it up.

What about an extra amount of TLC for the office plants? At the end of the year, I have them make up my files for the next year.

In the afternoon, I have them make microwave popcorn and show a movie. (Parents are asked first for content.)

I enjoy having "assistants" come and visit and I manage to get a lot accomplished. The most important thing is that you give the children a wonderful memory of their day at work.

By Tedebear

Our work is doing this again this year, and I am also part of the group who is in charge of planning this event.

We are having a K-9 do a demo, on how they catch a "bad guy". We are having coloring books. We are having the kids decorate their own badge.

I work for Probation, so it makes sense for my dept, might not help for yours.

By Marisol (Guest Post)

Schedule Idea

I've been in charge of the program at my law firm for a number of years. Here's a brief description of our day. Perhaps you can use some of it and taylor it towards your industry. Good luck!

This year we'll be doing a field trip to the Supreme Court. Hope you found this helpful.

By Olivia.