Vintage Apron Pattern?

Can someone give me instructions on how to make an apron like my grandmother wore when I was a kid? They say they're vintage aprons now. The bib apron with skirt, shoulder straps from front to back with a shoulder bar across in the back to keep it from falling off shoulders, and it has a sash that ties in the beck. She always had pockets on the front skirt. She was so smart and made her own pattern with newspapers. Please help and God Bless.

Angelheart from Clyde, TX

By Mary White (Guest Post)

What you are looking for is called a canning apron. You can find a pattren for it at a site that caters to the Amish and Mennonite comunities. I have one and it was so simple to make. I chose to make the apron without the waist shashing and it stays on with no problem. I just slip it over my head and I'm ready to cook.

As a matter of fact I have one that might help SOME, Simplicity pattern #4987. It doesn't have the cross straps in back but does have the older look to them. I made a skirt type apron (no bib) for VBS at our church last year (I was in charge of snacks, it was Fiesta theme so it had chili peppers, this year Cowboy, so I got some cute fabric with all different kinds of cowboy things).

I do know that when I was looking at the Simplicity patterns they had one with the cross pattern in back. Try Walmart for cheap patterns or if you have JoAnns they have great sales on patterns often. Hope that helps some.

Good luck!

By azse (Guest Post)

Simplicity has many aprons, one is a wrap around, a full apron that covers you up from top to bottom.

www.flickr.com/.../

www.flickr.com/.../

not sure what all is on the 2nd link but i know there's a lot & some are free but others aren't pictured...
I hope this helps!

p.s.
I just found this free apron pattern --
www.jcarolinecreative.com/.../merchant.mvc?Store_Code=JC&Screen...

www.craftandfabriclinks.com/.../aprons.html another apron pattern site.

sweater apron tutorial : flickr.com/.../ <<< cute !

www.google.com/patents?id=cFxlAAAAEBAJ&dq
i like this one !

56 free apron patterns you can make
tipnut.com/.../

I have one that sounds exactly like what you are talking about. It was my grandmother's and I laid it down on newspaper and traced it and cut out the pattern. I sewed it all together and it truly looks just like Grandma's.

You could definitely buy a pattern, but check to see if you have any friends who might have what you like or go to an antique store and see if you can find one you think is similar and try the trace/cut/sew method. Mine looks somewhat like this:

www.flickr.com/.../
www.flickr.com/.../

Crafts SewingMarch 7, 2007
😷
🌻
😎
📓
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf56531233.tip.html