BulbsGardening

Amaryllis Bulb Has No Stalk

Category Bulbs

My amaryllis bulb is just sprouting leaves, but no stalk. Is that normal?

Sara from Chevy Chase, MD

If the leaves come out first on an Amaryllis you won't get a flower this year. The flower stalk has to come before the leaves. When the weather warms up in the Spring put the bulb outdoors for the Summer. In September stop watering it. Store the bulb in a cool dark place. You may see the stalk start coming after about 6-8 weeks. Bring it out & start watering at that time. If you don't see the stalk coming after storing it, then bring it out & start watering 6 weeks before you want it to bloom. I believe you can do this at any time of the year so can rotate several bulbs so that you always have one in bloom.

I planted my new bulb in December but it only grew leaves, it didn't grow a stalk first. How can I get it to flower and how do I get it to go dormant now.

Should I just stop watering it or should I let it be for the summer? It's only middle of April now.

There are different types of amaryllis. I've planted mine outside. In the early spring, leaves come out, then they dry, storing the sugars in the bulb. Later in the fall, the stem shoots up and the bulbs bloom. Since mine are outside, I never thought about the watering of them, but we do get a very dry spell in late summer and early fall.

I had an amarylis that did this. I've kept it for a year or two, and put it outside, as I though perhaps it had been damaged, because it was a discount bulb. However, the thing has grown, but never bloomed. I may try what lamico has suggested, as I didn't let the thing go dormant. I do know that my mother has had one for years, that successfully blooms, and she doesn't do anything special with it at all.